How do you add photos to polygons and lines?

Jump to solution
11-21-2019 11:21 AM
Marie-LouLabuschagne
New Contributor III

I've added photos to point, and used the JSON editor to make them optional, but it looks as if photo capture is only possible for points, not polygons or lines....  

On a polygon or a line button, the camera option is not available.  I tried to edit the JSON to change the cameraInfo mode to manual and "required" to false - which added the camera icon on the button in the designer, but the camera is not available when I open the app.

I did enable attachments for the lines and poly's and enabled editing and sync.....

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Marie-Lou

Photos are not currently supported for lines and polygons. But we would be keen to hear your user requirements. What are you looking to do and when would you want the photo to be taken (at the start or end of the line)?

Thanks

John

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Marie-Lou

Photos are not currently supported for lines and polygons. But we would be keen to hear your user requirements. What are you looking to do and when would you want the photo to be taken (at the start or end of the line)?

Thanks

John

0 Kudos
Marie-LouLabuschagne
New Contributor III

Hi John

We want to use this to audit the parking spaces in the city.  There's signage at the start and end of each parking zone, but you can have a group of parking spaces with 120 min limits, where two are for disabled parking and the rest are for regular parking - which will imply that you start the 120 poly, start the disability poly, end the disability poly after two parking spaces, and then end the 120 poly when you reach the end of the zone.  I'd like to take a photo at the start & end of each poly, as there sometimes are additional time restrictions for weekdays vs weekends.  We need to add all those restrictions as attributes, but I plan to use the photo to get the info for the attribute updates.  I'd also like the option not to take the photo, if it is just a straight forward timed zone with no additional restrictions.

I plan to do a lot of post processing, as polygon capture is a bit of a challenge when it needs to be neat and regular - this will need to be cleaned up in ArcGIS Pro (unless you can help me with a idea of how to capture neat squares/rectangles with QuickCapture....)

Cheers!

ML

JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks - I have noted this requirement.

BenSmith6
New Contributor III

Hi Johnathan,

Have you got a link to this requirement in the ideas page? I'd like to upvote it if so.

Thanks

Ben

0 Kudos
CarmenDurham
Occasional Contributor II

I wanted to try this as an initial capture of guardrail locations for City owned/maintained streets with just a basic condition attribute for this "quick capture".  For the "POOR - needs immediate repair"  features, I wanted the user to attach a photo of the situation.  In this case, the photo could just be attached to the line and not anywhere specific on the line.

I realize that we could have a separate point feature class editable in the same QuickCapture project where someone could take the picture and associate it with the point, but that would complicate what was going to be so nice and easy!!

Also - I didn't see it mentioned in the documentation about not being able to associate photos to lines or polygons.  Please add this to the documenation.  I was wondering/researching for quite a while as to WHY the "Add photo" option wasn't showing up for my layer.  

Carmen

Mandy_Li
Esri Contributor

Hi Carmen,

Requirements understood, it's already logged in our backlog. As in current capability, having a separate point feature/button allows you to capture a photo for issues anytime while capturing line (when you do not need to end and restart the process of capturing a line). For better visualization, you can view results by adding both the line layer and point layer in a web map, or simply configure the webmap as the map of your quickcapture project, so the submitted records will reflect on the map page of the mobile app as you go. 

Thanks,

Mandy

0 Kudos