And/or in a cascading select?

11-22-2019 12:08 AM
HaydenWilson2
New Contributor

Hi. I have a use case where I have three lists and I want to be able to constrain what is visible in the lists based off what was selected in the previous list.

Simple enough using a standard cascading select.

However, with my use case, I need to be able to constrain the third list based off a selection from list one and then optionally constrain it further based off a selection in list 2.

I have attached a simplified version of the XLS form that I have tried this with.

So in this simplified case, I want the user to select the state they live in and get a list of counties in question 2 constrained by their selection in question 1 and a list of all the cities in that state in question 3 constrained by selection in question 1. Then, if the user selects a county in question 2, I want question 3 to be further constrained by their selection in question 2.

Any help would be appreciated!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Your sample works fine so I am not sure what your question is.

Why not just have then pick the city then look the other two up using pulldata?

0 Kudos
HaydenWilson2
New Contributor

Hi Doug.

Thanks for the response. My example doesn't perform the way i want it to at all. If I select a state, in the third list I want a list of all the cities in that state. this works. but, when I narrow the search by selecting a county. I want the cities list to only show the cities present in that county. This does not work as the third list is still showing all the cities in the state, which allows users to make a selection which makes no sense. i.e. they can say that they stay within a city that is not within the correct county.

This is a simplified example for testing purposes.

The actual use case is for a marine invertebrate survey where we have approx 500 species that need to be collected.

The issue is that the field workers having varying understanding about the taxonomy, so there needs to be a case where they can select the species using its common name and scrolling through a list of 500 common names is not ideal.

From a usability perspective. it would be better to have the list of common names to be constrained off varying levels in the taxonomy. so if someone is reasonably certain that the organism belongs in a certain family, they can select a phylum, then a class, then an order and then the family and get a list of common species name in that family. however if they are only capable of narrowing the list by selecting a phylum then the list should also return all the common names of organisms that are within that phylum.

So this is why I need the third list to be constrained off either the first list, or off the second list.

I have just done some reading on the pulldata function. I am not sure how that is applicable in this use case?

Kind Regards

Hayden

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Works as designed for me.  Not sure what is not for you.

0 Kudos
HaydenWilson2
New Contributor

Hi Doug.

I am sorry that I am not explaining this adequately.

When you selected your state, did it give you a list of cities? or did it only give you the cities list after you selected a county?

I want the cities list to display all the cities within a particularly State, but then have the option to limit that list to a particular county if a county is selected.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You cannot use an if statement in a choice filter.  I tested it again and it is a no.

See this post for a workaround

https://community.esri.com/thread/230127-survey-123-choice-filter-select-all-if-nothing-chosen 

0 Kudos