Drive-Time Analysis in GIS?

11-20-2019 12:32 PM
marleeakerson
New Contributor

I am wondering what the options are for doing drive time analysis - for example seeing how many people live within x minutes of a point. 

I currently have the most basic version of ArcMap (without the Business Analyst or Network Analyst extensions) and am wondering if I should look into getting those extensions or getting an account with ArcGIS Online, as I believe they have drive-time analysis as well. 

Any ideas on how I can do drive-time analysis would be very helpful! 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JoeCatanzarita1
Occasional Contributor II

marlee akerson,

Hello and good morning! My name is Joe and I work in Esri Support Services.

I was able to find you this piece of documentation here (Summarize Nearby—Help | ArcGIS Desktop ), I think it's pretty close to what you're looking for. When reading through, you'll note a little section that says "To use the drive-time and drive distance measurement options you must be logged in to an ArcGIS Online organizational account with Network Analysis privileges. Each time the tool runs successfully, service credits are debited from your subscription based on the service used and the results returned from the service."

How you wish to move forward depends on your needs and the needs of your organization. It would appear that you're able to use Summarize Nearby with your current ArcMap license, however the use of the drive time and drive distance measurements would need some additional software.

Joe 

0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

If you get an ArcGIS online account, then you can access all the network analysis functionality including the Generate Service Areas for drive time analysis without needing any additional software or data.

You will have to pay some credits for using the online tools. More details here:

An overview of the Network Analysis toolset—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Regards,

Jay Sandhu

0 Kudos