I am trying to use a joined CSV file that contains more than 1400 records to a table. when I tried to use the field calculator to replace the old data with the new data it crashes and closes the ArcGIS 10.5.1. Is there any way to fix this? or there is ano

11-18-2019 06:32 AM
Labels (3)
RAFAELHERNANDEZ1
New Contributor

I am trying to use a joined CSV file that contains more than 1400 records to a table. when I tried to use the field calculator to replace the old data with the new data it crashes and closes the ArcGIS 10.5.1. Is there any way to fix this? or there is another way to do it besides copying and pasting one out time? I was trying to use ArcGIS pro but the data is on a Geometric network that I cannot edit.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Rafael,

Theres a few things we can check on:

First, is the csv configured appropriately for ArcGIS? 

• Field names have no special characters, spaces and dont start with a number
  • Theres no rogue cells with data in them under a column with no title

From my experience, if the join is successful but youre unable to export or use the field calculator its indicative that the csv is not structured correctly. ive had this happen before even if the CSV looks perfect - a good test is to import the csv into a gdb as a table, and then do a join to this table

Something else to check, are you trying to use the field calculator on a feature class within an SDE or a geodatabase?

Ive experienced issues in using the field calculator on a feature class in an SDE where a definition query has been set and saved in an mxd. A test in this instance, is to open a fresh mxd/aprx, and import the feature class straight from the database and attempt the join again.

Your last comment about the geometric network being uneditable could be an issue - if this is the dataset youre attempting to update and you dont have the appropriate (editable) connection to the database this could be preventing updates also.

Hope this gives you a few more things to test!

0 Kudos