ArcGIS Pro API or Python for Geodatabase Edit Tool Creation?

11-15-2019 07:00 AM
KimGarbade
Occasional Contributor III

I wrote some ArcObjects.Net code about 6 years ago (Visual Studio/C#) that created an add-in to ArcMap that helped users add and edit features in an SDE Geodatabase.  The code was linked to a button that would open a form.  The form allowed users to enter data about a source document they may be using to base edits on (Source Author, Source Date, Datums, Current Date, etc.).  Once the form was populated users could create new; or edit existing, features.  For new  features a new unique identifier is generated, source data is populated for the feature, and overlay analysis sets certain values based on underlying source polygons (I.E. maintenance area, council district,...).  I want to rewrite this tool to work in ArcGIS Pro.  My first inclination is to use the ArcGIS Pro API, but then I hear of the wonders of Python for this kind of thing.  I've only ever used Python for one-off kinds of geoprocessing before, nothing this complicated, but I also know some python already and the Pro API looks like a learning heavy lift.  My question is simply this:  What would you use (ArcGIS Pro API or Python) and why?   Sorry for the long question... its my first post on GeoNet.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MatthewDriscoll
MVP Alum

For a button push you will need to use the Pro SDK probably, which is in C#.  In my opinion you are going to want to use a combination of both the Pro SDK and within call some python scripts.  But you can probably do it all within the SDK itself.  You can also probably achieve all this in Python too, except it will be a script tool instead of a button.  Don't even bother looking at the Objects code for help as the packages are completely different.  I had zero .NET experience and took the Extending ArcGIS Pro with Add-Ins course and was able to get right into creating add-ins for Pro after.  Back to the drawing board!  Good Luck! 

KimGarbade
Occasional Contributor III

Thank you for the input Matthew.  I was hoping to avoid learning another way to customize/geoprocess in ArcGIS... AML, Avenue, ArcEngine, ArcObjects,.... now Pro SDK.  Onward and upward!

0 Kudos