Selecting data from NLCD Canopy Cover layer from 2016

11-13-2019 10:29 AM
Labels (1)
NicholasJohns
New Contributor

I've downloaded the 2016 Canopy Cover data from NLCD. I want to be able to select all the data from that layer within various distances from multiple points. I'm looking at habitat data and bird nests. I am not able to use the Select by location or attributes, as it doesn't seem to register that there is any information there. Any advice on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Nicholas,

Are you working in ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro? And what versions? In the latest release of ArcGIS Pro, 2.4.2, you should be able to use the Select by Attribute on a Land Cover raster like the NLCD. There may be some limitations as to what you can do with that selection, however. I'm not sure if Geoprocessing Tools honor selections made on thematic rasters. Maybe others here on GeoNet can shed some light on that?

A more trusty workflow depending on how large the area you are working with is to convert the Land Cover raster to polygons based on their Land Cover class using the Raster to Polygon tool, and then use the output polygons in a Select by Location process. Here's the documentation on the Raster to Polygon tool for both ArcMap and for ArcGIS Pro:

I hope that helps get you started! 

Best,

Lauren

0 Kudos
NicholasJohns
New Contributor

Hello Lauren,

I am using ArcGIS Pro 2.4.2. I have tried Selecting by Attribute, but the pixels are not selectable. I can info in on them and find out their value, but not actually select them. I'm currently running the Raster to Polygon tool to see if that will work, but as I am running the whole country's data, it's going to take a while. I will reply back with the results.

Thank you very much

0 Kudos