How do you filter data in the map view in Portal?

11-12-2019 06:52 AM
ChristopherBride1
New Contributor

In ArcGIS portal, I cannot get the map to filter out data through the category selector. I have all the actions set up so that all the charts and graphs talk to each other, but having selections talk to the map has not been successful.

Here, the data selector is set to "No Data Selected", and we see Sideswipe, Rear End, and Other types of data points:

Here, sideswipe is selected but all of the other points are still present:

One of the issues is that the Map frame is not listed in the Actions menu when configuring the data selector:

when configuring the map, the option does not appear either:

And when Map Actions is selected, it basically looks the same so I'll spare you the graphic. Is it possible that this is not within the functionality of Portal? 

Other info: This is an Ops Dashboard template, and the data was published to Portal as a service. Due to my task requirements I need to have this work as a service, not on a hosted layer. All of the other other graphs and charts respond to the data selector and to map extent. The map data will not filter when a graph or chart bar/region is selected either. I would love to see that too. 

portal for acrgis‌ webmap filter‌ actions‌

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Chris,

> ... This is an Ops Dashboard template

Can you please specify which Ops Dashboard template you're using? Is it from the ArcGIS Solution gallery?

> ... and the data was published to Portal as a service. Due to my task requirements I need to have this work as a service, not on a hosted layer.

What type of service? Only feature layers can be a target of an action. Map service layers can be used if they are added to the map as individual layers and not as the entire service itself.

Hope this helps,

ChristopherBride1
New Contributor

Hey there...Thank you for responding. The Ops dashboard I am using is chosen like this: layer --> Create Web Map (save) --> Create Web App --> Using Operations Dashboard

I'm not entirely sure what the type of service it is. But the data shows up as a Map Image layer, and it is not a hosted service. It is based on a local server. So....it sounds like this might not be a feature layer. Would you say I could create a Web Map (using a feature layer, perhaps a small dummy layer with one feature) and add the a service layer (Map Image Layer) I want to filter as a target?

0 Kudos
JosiahPoyitt
New Contributor III

Hi Christopher,

Even if you add a dummy layer as a feature layer, a Map Image Layer in unable to be filtered and queried. You will need to upload the data seperately as a feature layer if you want to do so.

Regards,

Josiah

ChristopherBride1
New Contributor

I think that there is my answer: this operation will not work on a Map Image Layer. Thanks! 

0 Kudos