AnsweredAssumed Answered

Vary symbology by attribute: what does "Allow symbol property connections" do?

Question asked by mboeringa2010 on Nov 9, 2019
Latest reply on Nov 11, 2019 by mboeringa2010

I have a point layer file that I imported from ArcMap into ArcGIS Pro. In ArcMap, the advanced symbol property of "Rotation" was set, and when I inspect the symbology properties in Pro, I see the rotation field properly set in the "Vary symbology by attribute" TAB of the Symbology pane. So far, so good, the layer displays the rotation properly as well, so no issue here.

But at the bottom of the Symbology pane, when "Vary symbology by attribute" is the active pane, there is a checkbox "Allow symbol property connections".

It is not clear to me, what this option does??

According to the Help page here:

Attribute-driven symbology—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

"When you are in the Format Symbol mode of the Symbology pane, click the menu button  to ensure that Allow symbol property connections is checked, indicating that the layer is enabled for attribute-driven symbology. If this option is checked and disabled, one or more properties are already connected for this layer."

This text suggests that for some reason you are supposed to additionally activate the attribute driven symbology by checking this box on. In my case it isn't checked on, but still, the rotation is applied properly??? So what does this option do?

Outcomes