Demand Points being skipped when being imported from XY point file.

Jump to solution
11-08-2019 10:52 PM
JosephKim1
New Contributor II

Hello!

When I'm inputting demand points using the "Add location" tool for a capacitated coverage analysis, some of the XY points are not being imported as demand points. I'm not exactly sure why as the entire dataset is displayed perfectly fine in the XY point file. This occurs for multiple demand files, but the attached has one set of demand points and the network file. Does anyone know why not all the XY points are being imported?

Thanks for the help, 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

Joseph,

There are geometry related errors in the street data that makes up the network. For starters, the input lines have XYZM where the Z's ad M's are zero. The M's do not play any role in locating features for network analysis, but Z's do have an impact. Also there is no vertical coordinate system defined. At a minimum bring up the properties of the RdsClean feature dataset class and for the Z Coordinate, assign a Unknown height system in meters.

But the main problem is that you have many line features that have 0 length and some that are 0 but have a length! So if you examine your data in the area where the points are getting loaded, and look at TofinoRdsCleanND street feature id of 195, it shows a length of 13 meters but is in fact length 0. This feature is close to the points that are not getting located. You could delete this feature and rebuilt your network. Now your points will get located. There might be other places where there are problems. You really need to clean up your street data for any meaningful network analysis

Jay Sandhu

View solution in original post

3 Replies
RachelApplebaum
Esri Contributor

Hi Joe,

It looks like the data being used for demand points is in a table (at least in the data provided as an attachment). In order to load them in as demand points, you'd need to create a feature class from the table first. How are you doing that? Do you right click on the table in the Contents pane and choose Display XY? And what coordinate system are you setting for the output feature class?

Once you have the points in a feature class and you go to load them in as demand points, what settings are you using? Are you leaving all the defaults.

Screenshots of any GP tools you use (and any other screenshots you think would be handy) would be very useful.

When I display the xy locations from the table and load them in as demand points, I see everything is located.

-Rachel

0 Kudos
JosephKim1
New Contributor II

Hi Rachel, 

Unfortunately I am not seeing all the data being displayed. I have attached a small document with all the steps I've taken and what I am seeing on my screen. Hopefully this is enough information to figure what I am doing wrong! 

-Joe

0 Kudos
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

Joseph,

There are geometry related errors in the street data that makes up the network. For starters, the input lines have XYZM where the Z's ad M's are zero. The M's do not play any role in locating features for network analysis, but Z's do have an impact. Also there is no vertical coordinate system defined. At a minimum bring up the properties of the RdsClean feature dataset class and for the Z Coordinate, assign a Unknown height system in meters.

But the main problem is that you have many line features that have 0 length and some that are 0 but have a length! So if you examine your data in the area where the points are getting loaded, and look at TofinoRdsCleanND street feature id of 195, it shows a length of 13 meters but is in fact length 0. This feature is close to the points that are not getting located. You could delete this feature and rebuilt your network. Now your points will get located. There might be other places where there are problems. You really need to clean up your street data for any meaningful network analysis

Jay Sandhu