ArcGIS Pro Table Frame content fitting strategy issue

11-07-2019 08:50 AM
RVG296
by
Occasional Contributor

In the below snapshot, we can see that without the first column being totally completed till the end (see empty space below), the contents are being thrown to the second column for writing the new values. I have used all the fitting strategies namely Adjust font size, Adjust frame columns and Adjust Frame columns and font-size, but neither of them worked. The frame columns are set to 3 because we have considered the maximum possible columns needed to fit 254 counties based on the data refresh.

Can anyone suggest the right strategy to use so that it does not go to second column unless the first is totally finished?

9 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Add and modify table frames—Layouts | ArcGIS Desktop 

suggests that the Adjust columns and font size

specifying a minimum font size, then let it determine the number of columns rather than having it fixed to 3

0 Kudos
RVG296
by
Occasional Contributor

I tried that. But it didn't work either.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

It looks like it also attempts to balance the columns within the box... maybe the box height is to large for the desired affect, try a larger font and a greater width and smaller height.  (I think you have entered the 'art' side of layouts ... good luck)

TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Rohit,

Dan is correct.  Currently the table frame balances the columns within the box. Currently, there is no option to "fill out" one column before starting the next.  I'm unaware of any existing enhancement request for this option. Please feel free to add one to https://community.esri.com/community/arcgis-ideas.

Thanks,

Tom

SarahHartholt
Occasional Contributor III

I'm having a similar issue except some of my attribute are not appearing in the table and there are blank rows left at the end of the last column. I have created an index grid to store the location of all roads in my study area. Why am I not seeing the red [...] indicator in the bottom right corner of my first snapshot to let me know that there are attributes missing from the table? I inspected my table manually and noticed that County Rd 14-16 are missing from the table. When I expand the table, the attributes populate in a staircase formation rather than spreading across to the top of the next column. What am I missing? I want my data to appear in a table with the same number of rows in each of the first 4 columns with the fifth column containing less attributes/rows.

SarahHartholt_3-1615474244498.png

SarahHartholt_2-1615474026499.png

feralcatcolonist_old
Occasional Contributor II

I'm experiencing the same issue as both Sarah and Rohit and I've submitted a bug report; will update once there's a resolution/bug number to give out.

Maybe this is something of a rant but the above question from almost 2 years ago isn't an enhancement issue. It is obviously a bug, as an insert table has an expected behavior: fill out all record rows before moving on to the next. This means no spacing issue larger than the next word-wrapped record, and not dropping records between columns. Those two rules are not an art form, but the basic premise of all word processing software features, something easy enough to be implemented as a beginner project for a Python programmer. I'd love to see Esri staff in the forums be more proactive about identifying and submitting bugs rather than rely on a user to be frustrated enough to open a support ticket, document evidence, and work through that process.

That's the end of the rant.

feralcatcolonist_0-1629812024347.png

Likes an array of [cats, gardening, photography]
0 Kudos
feralcatcolonist_old

Okay! We have a bug 😃

1. Bug number: BUG-000142525

2. Synopsis: Insert table to table frame with word wrapping enabled balances the table based on the first Field and pushes data down for the larger datasets.

3. Workaround: N/A

SarahHartholt
Occasional Contributor III

Wondering if the bug has been resolved? I'm revisiting my old project as we have some new roads to add to the map and I am still seeing the issues. Currently running on ArcPro 2.9.0

SarahHartholt_1-1641575427727.png

0 Kudos
feralcatcolonist_old

Hi Sarah! I got an update a month ago in my bug case and it looks like it is in the product plan; no idea when though 🙂

Unsure if my link will work for you:

https://my.esri.com/#/support/bugs/BUG-000142525

feralcatcolonist_0-1641588076946.png

0 Kudos