stream to feature - how to add Directionality to attribution?

11-05-2019 06:04 AM
Labels (1)
DeborahHuber
New Contributor II

Using the Stream to Feature tool, results an output of line segments that shows which direction each cell is flowing.  See attached image.  The computer knows these values - it created them as a Flow Direction Grid (see attached explanation) - but they do not appear in the Stream-to-Feature attribution.  I can symbolize these line segments - and the arrow appears at the correct end to show the directionality of the segment.  This tells me the software is READING the Flow Direction Grid value from somewhere.  What I want to do is merge together like-direction segments that touch one another.  I did some manually on the right side of the screen shot attached.

QUESTION: How can I add an attribution column of the Flow Direction Grid value that the computer is reading? 

If I had a column of those values, I could merge all north-east flowing cells....then explode them.  All the ones that are touching will remain merged...any not touching will explode off to it's own group of line segments.  This process, while not perfect, will certainly make trying to merge 86K segments MUCH faster.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
0 Replies