Systems backup software

03-16-2011 07:00 AM
JeremyBixby
New Contributor III
We currently use BackupExec as our systems recovery solution.  We've had nothing but trouble with it; it randomly crashes our server.  We are going to be looking for a new solution later this year as we spec out a new GIS database server.  Is there a particular product anybody's had repeated success with specifically in the Esri/GIS domain?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JeffDeWeese
Esri Contributor
Jeremy, I am not familiar with the pros and cons of specific back-up systems, but I can tell you which back up systems I have come across with various Esri customers. Also, these wouldn't be specific to GIS that I am aware of; GIS is just another "customer" of the available IT back up system. Here is a list of the ones I have come across (listed in no specific order).

Veritas NetBackup
Tivoli Storage Manager
CommVault

Jeff DeWeese
Esri - Systems Architect
0 Kudos
JeremyBixby
New Contributor III
Thanks for the reply.  We disabled the job which uses the SQL remote agent over the past 2 nights and so far so good. 

Thanks for the list, if anybody out there has specifically good or bad experiences with any of them, I would love to hear about it.
0 Kudos
BennieWhite
New Contributor
i've been using easus todo backup workstation, which works well to me.
i set up a system backup schedule to automatically backup the system, it never failed.
the images can also be deleted automatically, saving a lot of space.
u can read their article about server backup.
0 Kudos
danan
by
Occasional Contributor III
We use CommVault but will soon switch to NetApp's SnapManager (since we're switching to NetApp storage). Veritas NetBackup may still be a good choice for Enterprise backups (haven't used it in a decade). Legato used to be a chief competitor to Veritas. It's now owned by EMC and known as EMC Networker. Don't know if there's a dependency on EMC storage like SnapManager

When you say database server, which database will you be using for ArcGIS Server? If Oracle, consider writing, or having someone else write, a few simple RMAN backup scripts. RMAN is free with licensed Oracle servers and CommVault mostly provides a GUI and writes the RMAN scripts for you. CommVault, like most Enterprise backup software I suspect, is expensive. A friend recently saved his organization 100K by dropping CommVault to back up Oracle servers using RMAN scripts. I believe the total cost of CommVault licenses, including all database agent licenses, equaled or exceeded the entire cost of the org's SAN storage (several hundred thousand dollars). If you really need a GUI for Oracle backups, use Oracle Enterprise Manager.

Be mindful with Enterprise backup software that you will typically pay extra for database vendor-specific "agent" licenses (e.g. Oracle, SQL Server, etc) to perform hot/online backups. Carefully consider your backup requirements and choose something that meets, but doesn't grossly exceed, the business need. Don't buy a Cadillac if a Corolla would do. There can be a risk to underspending as well--sometimes you need a Cadillac. Your requirements and business need will help guide the purchase.

I'm not presently a backup or storage administrator so that's about as much input as I can provide. I am, however, very interested in NetApp's Snap Manager. This is what we're replacing CommVault with for both SQL Server and Oracle backups. I'm wondering, and don't yet know, if there's also a per-server database agent license cost for Snap Manager. Anyone here use it?

Agent costs can add up fast. I'm sure Snap Manager has some wonderful features. But I don't know if they meet a specific requirement. In some large IT organizations, certain purchases can be a foregone conclusion made by one part of the IT Enterprise without consulting other parts of the IT Enterprise. And then you're stuck with it and "must" use it because it is The Standard. If you don't have to plug-in to the rest of your Enterprise's backup regime that gives you a lot more flexibility.

Good luck and please let us know how it turns out.
0 Kudos