Refreshing SQL to FGDB Joined Data set

10-30-2019 08:10 AM
WestonKingsley
New Contributor

Hi all!

I'm pretty new to ArcGIS (Pro) so I apologize if my question might seem basic. Thanks in advance for any help or direction. Here's where I'm at:

I have a Feature Class (polygon) that represents land tracts in a US County, we'll call that layer Tracts. I also have a database that stores a list of every Contract we have for that Tract, we'll call that layer/table Contracts; this layer is made using the Add Data > Query Layer tool in order to pull the data from the SQL DB. That relationship is a One to Many, Tracts (1) to Contracts(M). 

From what I understand about ArcGIS Pro, it doesn't like joining One to Many relationships, so I can either use a relate or the Make Query Table tool. I opted for the Make Query Table because I need the user to be able to click on a Tract and see all related contracts and additionally, I need to symbolize the Layer in a way that allows the user to see when Contracts are expiring; I'm using graduated symbols to turn the entire Tract polygon a certain color when an expiration date is within some time frame.

Here's the problem I'm facing: when we updated the data in the database, I can't figure out how to update the data in my map. I've updated my database value as a test, but the data point in my map hasn't/won't update. I am looking for a way to automatically update my map to reflect changing DB values so that I don't have to go through every step each time I open the software.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to help!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Weston,

Just to clarify, is the Tracts feature class in a File Geodatabase and the Contracts table in the SQL database?

If this is the case, you will want to make sure your SQL database is registered with your ArcGIS Server instance.  If it is not, the table will be copied to the ArcGIS Server instance rather than referenced from the SQL database. 

0 Kudos
WestonKingsley
New Contributor

Hi Jake, thanks for checking in. Yes, you are correct on the locations of both items. I don't think I've done your recommendation so I will work through the link you shared and give an update. Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
WestonKingsley
New Contributor

So I think I may have run into a deal breaker. I read right through your "ArcGIS SERVER" mention; I'm using ArcGIS Online. As far as you know is there any way to continue on?

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

You will need ArcGIS Server for the immediate update.  When working with AGOL hosted feature services, the data is copied up to ArcGIS Online, so there is no longer that live connection.  With ArcGIS Server, the data will not be copied and as soon as the data is updated, the service will be updated as well.

0 Kudos