ArcGIS Desktop 10.7.1: No longer warns of no licenses available

10-30-2019 05:55 AM
EdDempsey
New Contributor III

We are running ArcGIS Desktop 10.7.1 and License Manager 2019.0.   Following the upgrade, we have noticed that if a user attempts to open Desktop and there is not an available license, they do not receive any sort of warning.  The splash screen appears for a second, then disappears.  That's it.  In the past, it would indicate that there were no [Advanced, Standard] licenses available in which case the user could at least temporarily switch to Basic or check with other folks to free up a license.

Has anyone had similar experiences?  

12 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Ed:

Here is a reply I received in the Pro 2.5 beta program about License Managers:

"The final version or Pro 2.5 (and also ArcMap 10.8) will require the ArcGIS License Manager 2019.2.  We always recommend users upgrade the license manager to the latest version since it's backward compatible.  With that said, Pro 2.5 concurrent use will also work with LM 2019.0 and LM 2019.1 which is now available for download in MyEsri.  LM 2019.1 is LM 2019.0 plus the  ArcGIS License Manager 2019.0 License Availability Display Patch."

I wonder if the ArcGIS License Manager 2019.0 License Availability Display Patch that appears to upgrade LM 2019.0 to LM 2019.1 would resolve your licensing issue.  I would think its worth a try.

0 Kudos
JakeNeedle
New Contributor III

I upgraded to LM 2019.1 and it still does not provide a message that no licenses are available.....

AdamGoodfellow2
New Contributor II

I have just built a fresh VM Server with LM 2019.2 and it is also not displaying the no license are available message for 10.7.1, works fine with 10.6 Clients.

0 Kudos
AmnoyAm
Esri Regular Contributor

Ed,

You should get a messaged indicating you're not licensed for that license level.  Try ArcCatalog.  It should display the same message. If it does and ArcMap does not, reset ArcMap setting by renaming Normal.mxt in C:\Users\<localuser>\AppData\Roaming\Esri\Desktop10.7\ArcMap.

0 Kudos
EdDempsey
New Contributor III

I tried Amnoy's suggestion, to no luck.  I opened our one Advanced license on my desktop, then tried ArcCatalog from my laptop and same behavior.   Splash screen showed for a few seconds, then disappeared with no warning or message.

0 Kudos
AmnoyAm
Esri Regular Contributor

Ed,

What did you mean when you said you opened one Advanced license on your desktop.  Are you saying you have the license manager installed on your Desktop machine and ArcGIS Desktop installed on your laptop?  Also did you mean you have an Advanced license available on your license manager but you still could not start ArcCatalog on your laptop?  I'm just a little confused.  

Just for clarification, do the following:

1.  Install ArcGIS Desktop on the Desktop machine and your laptop.  

2.  Verify the license manager was authorized with the advanced license.  

3.  Point to the machine with the license manager.  Make sure you can start ArcMap on either machines. 

4.  Then stop the license manager or deauthorize the advanced license.  Start ArcMap on your Desktop and then ArcMap on your laptop.  Do you get the splash screen on both machines?

Basically we're trying to see if the issue is limited to the local system or not.  

0 Kudos
EdDempsey
New Contributor III

Sorry for the confusion, let me restate. I have two computers in my office, a laptop and a desktop, both are on our network and pointing to a license server which is neither of my computers. We have 1 license of Advanced, so I opened ArcGIS on my desktop thereby consuming our one Advanced license. As you suggested I then tried to open ArcCatalog, this was on my laptop. As I stated, I got a quick splash screen and no warning. In other words, it exhibited the same behavior as has been seen with ArcMap.

0 Kudos
AmnoyAm
Esri Regular Contributor

Gotcha.  Can you start ArcMap on your laptop and then start ArcMap and then ArcCatalog on your Desktop machine?  Do you still get the splash screen for each?

0 Kudos
EdDempsey
New Contributor III

Yes, same thing happens. I’ve also had multiple users across my company see the same behavior.

0 Kudos