Is Split in ArcGIS Pro the same as the Cut Polygon Tool in ArcMap?

10-29-2019 03:37 PM
EvanDowdakin1
New Contributor II

I am slowly moving some of my organization's digitizing projects to Pro as a way to familiarize myself with the new software. However, I can't seem to simply cut a polygon in half using the "Split" tool like I could in ArcMap with the Cut Polygon tool. It spits out the following error "Split failed. New geometry must intersect polylines and intersect polygons in two or more places." What is the point of the Split tool if you can't split/cut a single polygon in half?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Splitting a polygon—Help | ArcGIS Desktop in ArcMap is a tool you use in editing and want to split a polygon

Split—Help | ArcGIS Desktop in Pro is an Analysis Tool

Split a feature—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop is ArcGIS Pro

EvanDowdakin1
New Contributor II

Thanks for the quick response! I think I did not explain well enough; I was trying to use the Modify Feature - Split. Despite the cutting line touching two different points across the polygon (me trying to cut it in half) it spits back the error I mentioned. However, when I shut everything down and came back to my work this morning, it had no problem splitting (or cutting, if using ArcMap lingo) the polygon in half. Maybe a random error?

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Evan,

Based on your recent reply to Dan above. Here is what I think happened - just a theory

• Allow splitting without a selection is checked off (found at the bottom of the Split tool's pane).
  • Another polygon is selected (could even be out of the map's extent).
  • You are attempting to split an unselected polygon.

If all of the above is true, Split becomes active because the software thinks you want to split the selected polygon, and then throws the error because you have not created a cutting line across any selected polygons.

To avoid this in the future, make sure you are using the Split tool's selection tool - or perhaps try checking on Allow splitting without a selection.

Thanks,

Scott

Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

In case you see this via email: I just edited my above bullet to: Allow splitting without a selection is checked off

0 Kudos
EvanDowdakin1
New Contributor II

Maybe I'm wrong but I think I tried it both with the Split Polygon Without a Selection turned on and off and the error happened both times. However, I found it happened more consistently when I have it on so I have left it off all day today and the error hasn't happened again. 

I know some of the tools have new names in Pro so I thought maybe the Split in the Modify Tools was the wrong tool to use but based on what you and Dan have said, sounds like it is the same tool as Cut Polygon in ArcMap

MichaelCairns
New Contributor II

I am having similar problems with Split in ArcGIS Pro. "Allow splitting without a selection" is not ticked. However I have a join on my feature to a table. Split will not work - if I remove the join I can split using this tool. Editing in ArcMap split works fine with a joined table.

Did anyone ever solve this please? Thank you.

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Michael,

Can you describe the join a bit more? A join to another feature class, a table in a geodatabase, an excel sheet?

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
MichaelCairns
New Contributor II

Hello Scott,

Thank you for your very prompt reply. I have a table in a file gdb and also a polygon feature class, though the polygon feature class is in a different gdb.

I join (ADD JOIN) on the SPATIAL_ID column.

On using SPLIT without ticking “Allow splitting without a selection” I receive a red explanation mark in the Modify Features/Split palette “Split failed. Geometry must intersect polylines and polygons in two or more places.”

Perhaps the problem is the table coming from a different gdb?

Many thanks for any help you can give me.

Michael

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the additional details about the join. We are aware of this issue and it will be fixed. I'll update here when I know it's fixed in the released version.

Thanks,
Scott

0 Kudos