Survey123 AND Collector Live Streaming polyline functionality

10-29-2019 06:58 AM
ArnaudBrival
New Contributor II

Dear Esri Community!

I am fairly new to ArcGIS and this is my very first post on the forum. 

I  am currently trying to design a digital reporting solution for a remote marine ranger patrol of a Marine Park.

• The Livestream functionality in collector appears as a wonderful solution to track the patrol route (for reference and verification)
  • while on the other hand, Survey123 Connect could allow the effective collection all the info associated with the patrol (during or just after the route feature is created). Is that actually feasible in some way?

I think I have by now read all of the posts that could help my workflow including some very good ones from @ismael Chivite which allowed me to make some great progress:

- https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2017/09/25/working-with-existing-feature-services-i... 

-https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2016/07/30/understanding-survey123s-custom-url-sche...  

Thanks to those posts, I have successfully created and published my feature service with all conditions required to function in both Collector and Survey123 Connect.....  but what now?  Since I created my form in 123Connect (i.e. not in Survey123 Web), I cannot figure out how to integrate collector to populate the geotracequestion in the form as in this tutorial: 

Collector Integration with Survey123 | GeoMarvel 

I understand that the geotrace functionality is actually very new (this month?) and I've seen that integrating collector live streaming in survey 123 was generating quite some enthusiasm... but I don't think it  may not have been figured out just yet....

Can someone please help?

Thanks in advance to my saviors

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Arnaud,

From your description, passing a track via URL might be problematic as you could only do so at the end of a track into a new record (you can't have a 'live' update feed a survey).  I would recommend simply submitting the track from Collector and patrol events from Survey123 and join them in the display/analysis products.  

0 Kudos
ArnaudBrival
New Contributor II

Hi James Thanks a lot for your answer!  
What you are describing is indeed what I have in mind as a back up plan...  however this solution would increase the reliance on human maintenance/moderation to function properly.  Not impossible,  but both the field team and the office team have barely any IT/computing skills and this workflow end up being too challenging to implement. 

So if I read you well,  it may still be technically possible to: 
1- Start in survey123 with a few prep questions: (eg. equipment check list, description of patrol plan, starting fuel amount)

2- Open Collector via a url (in a note question in the survey)

3- Collect the ENTIRE patrol track in collector (without answering anymore question during the patrol. i.e. with the ipad set aside, simply streaming the track for a couple of hours) .

4- At the end of the patrol, VALIDATE the polyline feature and populate the georeference field back in survey123 (I am still struggling a bit to understand how to link the feature back in the survey once it's been collected. Could you please explain a bit more on this step?)

5- Complete the second survey part (fuel remaining, violation detected yes/no)  and then, MAGICALLY, validate and submit the whole thing  

Any chance this could work? if we do not do anything but streaming while in collector? 

If not,  (i.e no magic), could you advise me on the best practices to implement the back up plan? (i.e. Linking the feature and the tabular data during "display/analysis").

Thanks again for your reply, (and appologies in advance for any newbism hidding in those questions.... )

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Arnaud,

In theory, you could do this via 2 forms + Collector (as you've outlined), though I think that may add more complexity, as you've added steps in the middle for the users to manage.

0 Kudos