Can you record a number value instead of descriptive attributes?

Jump to solution
10-18-2019 02:43 PM
SamanthaNichols1
New Contributor II

I am evaluating this to see if we can use it for aerial wildlife surveys. For the most part, I think it will work. However, my question is, can you capture a number? We collect information such as activity, canopy cover, and snow cover which fit in nicely with the workflow. One other important observation is group size. Is there a way to capture group size as a unique number? Speed of data entry is critical in these surveys, and seconds can make a difference.

One workaround I can see is taking advantage of a user input and then having field staff type in the number. However, a number pad option would be ideal where the numbers could just be tapped instead of having to pull up the keyboard. Is this possible? Is this is in the works for upcoming updates?

Thanks for any help or insights on this.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi. I think your idea of using User Inputs is good. You can have only one user input in your project with version 1.2. You could use it to capture the count for example right after a button is pushed. If you would like to combine that with canopy cover and snow cover you could use an input mask in your user input. For example, an input mask like 99-99-99 would let you enter three separate two-digit numbers. The first one could be the count, the second the canopy and the third the snow cover. You could also go with 99-9-9 and enter a code that means something to you. For example, if you enter 12-0-3 that could mean: count 12, canopy clear (0 = clear) and snow cover complete (3 = 100%).  Once you have the data in that format, you could post-process it in ArcGIS Pro to put each value in its own field. Even better, you could use an Arcade function to automatically get the input broken down into three fields.

I suggest you experiment playing with input masks in user inputs and also categorization of buttons. For example, you may want to have a canopy-clear group of buttons with the different species of your survey, then create a separate group with the same number and type of buttons, but dedicated to a different categorization of canopy. Since groups can be collapsed, users could choose to hide some groups if they are not relevant for the flight, or sections of the flight.

Please note that you can only associate one user input with your project. We are working towards allowing the configuration of one user input in project mode and one or more user inputs in button mode, but this is not ready just yet.

Your comment about the numeric keypad makes a lot of sense. We did this in Survey123 (numbers appearance for integer and decimal questions), but did not think of bringing it up into QuickCapture.  I will add this into our back-log.

However, if you really care about this feature, please open an official Esri Technical Support case to request an enhancement. Alternatively, add a new entry in Ideas within the QuickCapture category.  We prioritize new features strictly following popular tech support cases and GeoNet ideas.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi. I think your idea of using User Inputs is good. You can have only one user input in your project with version 1.2. You could use it to capture the count for example right after a button is pushed. If you would like to combine that with canopy cover and snow cover you could use an input mask in your user input. For example, an input mask like 99-99-99 would let you enter three separate two-digit numbers. The first one could be the count, the second the canopy and the third the snow cover. You could also go with 99-9-9 and enter a code that means something to you. For example, if you enter 12-0-3 that could mean: count 12, canopy clear (0 = clear) and snow cover complete (3 = 100%).  Once you have the data in that format, you could post-process it in ArcGIS Pro to put each value in its own field. Even better, you could use an Arcade function to automatically get the input broken down into three fields.

I suggest you experiment playing with input masks in user inputs and also categorization of buttons. For example, you may want to have a canopy-clear group of buttons with the different species of your survey, then create a separate group with the same number and type of buttons, but dedicated to a different categorization of canopy. Since groups can be collapsed, users could choose to hide some groups if they are not relevant for the flight, or sections of the flight.

Please note that you can only associate one user input with your project. We are working towards allowing the configuration of one user input in project mode and one or more user inputs in button mode, but this is not ready just yet.

Your comment about the numeric keypad makes a lot of sense. We did this in Survey123 (numbers appearance for integer and decimal questions), but did not think of bringing it up into QuickCapture.  I will add this into our back-log.

However, if you really care about this feature, please open an official Esri Technical Support case to request an enhancement. Alternatively, add a new entry in Ideas within the QuickCapture category.  We prioritize new features strictly following popular tech support cases and GeoNet ideas.

0 Kudos
SamanthaNichols1
New Contributor II

Thanks for such a prompt and helpful reply. I am now getting back to this project. The user input works like a charm. Thanks for the information.

0 Kudos