How do I configure snapping in ArcGIS Pro?

10-18-2019 09:45 AM
deleted-user-Vdxw2N8yTRz6
New Contributor

I've managed to find the snapping button in the edit toolbar, but anytime I click on it, or the dropdown section, nothing happens. I can't seem to turn snapping on, nor can I configure which feature elements I'd like to snap to. Anytime I click on either part of the snapping toolbar, the ribbon just vanishes to no effect. Please help, I do not understand why this wouldn't be working. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

From your contents pane select the fifth icon from the left.  Below will be the feature in the order they can be snapped to.  Further, you can turn features on and off and order them in priority.  then in the ribbon select Edit.  In Edit is a tab for snapping. You can set type of snap.  SNAPPING needs a major overhaul in Pro.  Make it more functional like classic snapping in ArcMap.

0 Kudos
deleted-user-Vdxw2N8yTRz6
New Contributor

I see now, thank you. 

Agreed about the need for a snapping overhaul; Pro seems like a flashier program, but it's only surface deep. 

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

There are some aspects of Pro that are quite superior to ArcMap.  Most of which are related to creating and publishing services and Web Maps.

However, when I have to do serious editing I still always turn to ArcMap with Classic Snapping. 

There are a number of functions in Pro that just seem so very cumbersome.  Like performing a query or a simple field calculation.

PeteJordan
Occasional Contributor III

Totally agree with ArcMap being a lot more superior and faster for editing.  I have gotten used to the new snapping and in a way I have found with the Snapping toggle for layers being a big thing I enjoy as I no longer have to make base maps anymore as I did in ArcMap.   All this though comes at a higher performance cost and many things in editing take so much longer to process and do in comparison.

I think the issue is as mentioned is "It's a lot flashier" and I'm thinking this is one of the big reasons it's taking me 30 seconds to do something I could accomplish in ArcMap in only 2-3 seconds... 

0 Kudos