Is relating tables the right solution?

10-16-2019 07:24 AM
Miguel-Fernandez
Occasional Contributor

I am trying to analyze commute patterns using LODES data from the US Census. I downloaded a table that contained fields for home_census_block, work_census_block, and num_of_jobs. I joined that table to the census block geography using home_census_block as my join field. I then made a selection of census blocks that I wanted to analyze as the starting location for the commutes and made a new layer from that selection. I then created a relationship between the census block geography layer and the census block selection. The parameters for the Add Relate tool are:

Layer Name: census_block_geography

Input Relate Field: census_block_geography.GEOID10

Relate Table: census_block_selection

Output Relate Field: work_censusblockID

Cardinality: One to many 

The Add Relate tool runs fine with no errors but I can't seem to get what I want. What I'm trying to see is what census blocks people are working in that live in the selected area. I have tried using the 'select related records' from the attribute table menu but nothing happens. I'm wondering if this is the right approach or is there something different I should be doing to get the desired results. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Miguel

Miguel Fernandez
0 Kudos
1 Reply
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Unfortunately you cannot make symbols, definition queries, or queries based on a relate.

I think you can do it with some sort of relate table but I have worked on that yet.

Try a JOIN instead

0 Kudos