Create poly line radius from circle

Jump to solution
10-14-2019 12:27 AM
AnggiKusumawardani
New Contributor III

Hi

I would like to produce radius/diameter from circle in poly line. Does anyone know how to do that?

Appreciate if you could share with me.

best

anggi 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

You want to draw a line or calculate the radius and diameter?

Area of a circle  = (π)r²

you can also create a bounding box (square) around the circle.  Then draw lines from corner to corner.

Where the lines intersect is the center.  Trim one line to the other, then trim that line to the edge of the circle.

Or create a point and create the circle on that point, then draw in a radius line from the point to the edge of the circle.

Or create a point and snap the circle to the point.  then draw the radius from the point.

Or use the geoprocessing tool  Feature to Point and create a centroid and draw in the radius.

IF you need to do a LOT of circles you can do this

Create a radius field (double) in your polygon layer that has the circles.  Calculate the radius.

Create a fields for X,Y

Use Calculate Geometry to calculate the centroid of the circle.

Now create  new X,Y fields.  If you want the line to go straight East.  Calculate the second X,Y leaving Y the same as the centroid.  Calculate the new X using the Radius.  Then use the X,Y to line tool to draw in the lines. (literally thousands of lines can be draw this way in minutes)

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

Check this site out.

AnggiKusumawardani
New Contributor III

Hi Duncan, thanks for the link. However what I want is to draw the radius into poly line shapefile.

0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

You want to draw a line or calculate the radius and diameter?

Area of a circle  = (π)r²

you can also create a bounding box (square) around the circle.  Then draw lines from corner to corner.

Where the lines intersect is the center.  Trim one line to the other, then trim that line to the edge of the circle.

Or create a point and create the circle on that point, then draw in a radius line from the point to the edge of the circle.

Or create a point and snap the circle to the point.  then draw the radius from the point.

Or use the geoprocessing tool  Feature to Point and create a centroid and draw in the radius.

IF you need to do a LOT of circles you can do this

Create a radius field (double) in your polygon layer that has the circles.  Calculate the radius.

Create a fields for X,Y

Use Calculate Geometry to calculate the centroid of the circle.

Now create  new X,Y fields.  If you want the line to go straight East.  Calculate the second X,Y leaving Y the same as the centroid.  Calculate the new X using the Radius.  Then use the X,Y to line tool to draw in the lines. (literally thousands of lines can be draw this way in minutes)

AnggiKusumawardani
New Contributor III

Hi Robert, so many thanks for your help. Yes, what I need is to draw poly line (radius) from thousands of circle polygon. I have follow your step by step and finally I got what i want. Again, many thanks for your help. 

0 Kudos