ArcGIS for Student Use Install problem

10-13-2019 09:20 AM
RyanKoolick
New Contributor

I have tried on multiple times to download and install ArcGIS for Student Use. I get the following error twice during installation:

Fatal Error could not load ArcGISversion

Once the install is complete and I try to open ArcMap, I get this error:

ArcMap.exe System error: missing api-ms-win-crt-string-l1-1-0.dll

I am installing on a VM  on a MAC that is running parallels.   I have seen this error twice on the forum but none are running on a MAC

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

You need to use Boot Camp to install a Windows partition on your MAC then start your MAC in Windows.

0 Kudos
RyanKoolick
New Contributor

Thanks Robert, I'm more familiar with parallels than boot camp, hence why I chose it!

0 Kudos
V_StuartFoote
MVP Frequent Contributor

You provide no details about the build of Windows you've installed to your Parallels VM.  I would suspect that the Windows install  to the VM needs attention/updates including the correct 32-bit Visual C++ runtimes.

ArcGIS, like most programs, will run happily from a properly configured VM--you do not need a separate Boot Camp Windows partition--though the BootCamp driver set will be of use with the VM--Parallels or Fusion takes care of that for you.

0 Kudos
RyanKoolick
New Contributor

I am running Windows 8.1.   You are correct, I do need to download and install some updates as well a the 32-bit Visual C++ runtimes. Having some network issues but that is a parallel issue.   I just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything on the ArcGIS side that I was missing.  Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos