watch a folder for new CSV files

10-13-2019 05:12 AM
khadijaF
New Contributor

I’m trying to create connection to read a CSV file into GeoEvent then shows it in map   , I create ( Watch a folder for CSV ) as input connector but unfortunately no data counted , it look it didn’t read the data from CSV .

Attach is the way I configure it based on Esri documentation ..

I spent a lot of time try to look for help but no luck , your support is highly appreciated I really need this as its stopping my project for a while .

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
GregoryChristakos
Esri Contributor

Hi khadija F

To confirm whether or not the input connector is working as it should, we would likely want to see how your data is formatted in the CSV. That'll help confirm the validity of some minor settings you've configured. That aside, what immediately stands out to me about your configuration is your usage of the Input Directory property. You probably want to either leave that blank or change it altogether if you haven't tried doing so already. More on why below.

When working with the "Watch a Folder for New CSV Files" input connector, there are really two properties that tell GeoEvent where to find the CSV. The first is the Input Folder Data Store. The Input Folder Data Store is essentially a path to a folder location that has been registered with GeoEvent Server. An example of a registered data store folder is the "Automatic Backups" folder included with the installation of GeoEvent Server. "Automatic Backups" points to the path C:\ProgramData\Esri\GeoEvent. The second property is Input Directory (optional). The Input Directory property tells GeoEvent Server where it can look relative to the specified Input Folder Data Store path.

In the case of your configuration, you specified the Input Folder Data Store path as "IVMS". For example purposes, lets say the corresponding path for "IVMS" is actually E:\TestFolder (just as "Automatic Backups" points to "C:\ProgramData\Esri\GeoEvent"). At the same time, you've also configured the Input Directory property to point to "C:\GEOEVENT\INPUT. This is the location relative to E:\TestFolder that you've specified. Considering the two factors above, you are essentially telling GeoEvent Server to look at E:\TestFolder\C:\GEOEVENT\INPUT for your CSV. I could be mistaken here, but I doubt that path exists (or is the path you wanted to specify). This is the likely reason why nothing is coming through.

You should only specify an Input Directory when the registered folder data store isn't the exact location of your file that you want GeoEvent Server to read from. I often specify the exact folder location of my content (as a registered folder) and therefore don't need to specify an Input Directory path. However, its worth mentioning that the property exists so that if somebody has a registered folder data store set to "C:\GeoEvent" for example, they could potentially configure several other input connectors to point to different sub-folder locations underneath C:\GeoEvent without having to register just as many folders.

For example, lets say I have one folder for CSV data (called CSV_Folder) and another folder for JSON data (called JSON_Folder) under my hypothetical registered C:\GeoEvent data store folder. If I were configuring a new "Watch a Folder for New CSV Files" input connector, I could configure my Input Directory as CSV_Folder relative to the registered C:\GeoEvent data store folder (i.e. GeoEvent would look at C:\GeoEvent\CSV_Folder for CSV files). Likewise, I could configure a separate "Watch a Folder for New JSON Files" input connector to use JSON_Folder as its Input Directory relative to the registered C:\GeoEvent data store folder (i.e. GeoEvent would look at C:\GeoEvent\JSON_Folder for JSON files).

TLDR: To simplify things a bit, I suggest creating a new registered folder (Input Folder Data Store) that points to the exact path of where your CSV resides. Once you have done that, I would keep the Input Directory property empty. You may need to let GeoEvent Server create a GeoEvent Definition initially to make sure that the data can be brought in once the path is correct.