Rename registered data connections

10-11-2019 01:16 PM
JeffTimm
Occasional Contributor

Is there a way to rename registered data connections to arcgis server?  I need to standardize between environments and currently they are all over the place.

If I cannot rename what ramifications are there to deleting and recreating the same connection with a standard naming convention?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ThomasJones1
Esri Contributor

Hello Jeff,

You can edit the connection string in ArcGIS Server Manager, ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro. I don't know of a way to rename the database connections itself. If you want to recreate the connections you will need to use the same parameters in the connection string as your previous connections.

Thanks,

Thomas

0 Kudos
JeffTimm
Occasional Contributor

To verify if I recreate the registered data connection with the new standardized name I should be able to delete the old registered connection without affecting the rest services.

0 Kudos
ThomasJones1
Esri Contributor

Hello Jeff Timm‌,

To my knowledge yes, as long you are connecting to the same database, instance and version. Using the same credentials as the previous database connection. The services stills needs to have access and permissions to the underlying data. That said if you are concerned about downtime I would recommend testing this workflow first before making any changes. For example publishing a test service. Deleted and recreating the database connection.

The service itself also contains information regarding the database credentials used at the time of publishing. I have given an example of a connection string below.

Example Connection String:

ENCRYPTED_PASSWORD=00022e684f74367676436b6d2b535a4e4735767351416a5771773d3d2a00

SERVER=<database server name>

INSTANCE=<database instance name>

DBCLIENT= sqlserver

DB_CONNECTION_PROPERTIES=<database instance name>

DATABASE=<database name>

VERSION=sde.DEFAULT

AUTHENTICATION_MODE=DBMS

I hope this information is useful.

Thanks!

Thomas.