Do I need to rebuild map service cache?

Jump to solution
10-03-2019 11:26 AM
BrianCunningham2
New Contributor III

I'm not sure if this is a dumb question or not... but I'm still learning the ropes with cached map services.

We are migrating to a new SQL Server and I'm curious if I need to rebuild my map service caches because of that?  The database name, feature class names and feature class structures are staying the same; the data is not changing; the only thing that is changing is the name of the server that is housing the database.

Can I simply re-publish the map services that are pointing to the new server, or do I need to completely rebuild caches for any map services that have them?

Thanks,

Brian

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor
4 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

I would say nope, as long as nothing on the data side is changing.

https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/server/latest/publish-services/windows/copying-caches.htm

Enterprise GIS‌ ArcGIS Enterprise

--- George T.
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Theoretically you should not have to, but the cache has never displayed properly for me if I use it in multiple versions.  I would say give it a shot as this is the quickest and easiest path to get a cached mapservice on a new machine.  If it does not work, you can always build the cache from scratch.

0 Kudos
BrianCunningham2
New Contributor III

Thanks for the responses guys - I'll let y'all know how things work out for me.

Much appreciated,

Brian

0 Kudos
BrianCunningham2
New Contributor III

So far the cache has continued to work for me after changing the data source to the new server.

Thanks for the input.

0 Kudos