Update field attribute Question ?

Jump to solution
09-30-2019 01:48 PM
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

I am working on Agisoft Photoscan/Metashape a lot and it requires me to input the x,y,z on their field list...

So Before I transfer the x,y, z, from ArcGIS Pro to Agisoft Photoscan/Metashape.

First, I started to plot the markers on 2D to get the x, y using the Insert tab and select the Points Map Note from the Layer Templates list.

So when I add all the points on that layer "Points Map Note" and populate the x,y and z .

Then when I am done with plotting to the project, I went to the View Tab and hit the Convert button to open the 3D Local Scene.

I know the Z value is blank but How do I update the fields ?

Is there a way around for me to do this to update the Z (Meters) ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Robert,

To edit  values of a vertex or point: from the Edit tab > click Modify > click Vertices and the Edit Vertices pane opens. You can change x,y, and z in the table at the bottom of the pane:

You can also launch the Edit Vertices from the Attributes pane, Geometry tab. The button is next to the Move button.

Relevant documentation: Modify feature vertices—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

Does this help?

Thanks,

Scott

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Robert - the only way I've seen to update the z-field for the Map Note is via the Layer Properties->Elevation property.  From there, I tell AGP the features are on the ground with a cartographic offset.  If I type 1.0 for cartographic offset, my z-value goes to 3.28'.  If I type 2.0 for cartographic offset, my z-value goes to 6.56 and so on.  I don't know if there's a way to manually enter a value.

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

I think the only way around is done in 3D Local Scene rather than in 2D .

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Robert,

To edit  values of a vertex or point: from the Edit tab > click Modify > click Vertices and the Edit Vertices pane opens. You can change x,y, and z in the table at the bottom of the pane:

You can also launch the Edit Vertices from the Attributes pane, Geometry tab. The button is next to the Move button.

Relevant documentation: Modify feature vertices—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

Does this help?

Thanks,

Scott

PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Hi Scott, after I posted this and then you replied to me, what I find the easiest way to do this ...

First I would start setting everything up in 2D and then convert it to either global or local scene and then when you open it  Create a new layer ( Map Notes points )  to use to input the x,y,z in Agisoft Metashape , it is a 3D programmetery software, that you can use for Drones  just like you have at ESRI have Drones2Maps..

You just plot where you see features on the map and then populate their names , etc..

If you turn it over to it's attributes and in the Geometry, the X, Y,Z (meters) show up..

I then copy them to Agisoft Metashape.

That is what I do.

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey Robert, that's a good tip and it works because when you create a scene in ArcGIS Pro, the scene gets a default elevation surface called the Terrain 3D layer that it can use to populate z-values on the features you create:

Item details page for the service: https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=7029fb60158543ad845c7e1527af11e4 

Of course, you can also use your own elevation source for this, but when you have access to the internet, it's handy to just use that one. More info here: Configure a scene for 3D editing—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

Thanks,

Scott

PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Thank you , Scott.  You have been very helpful.. I will explore this..

More is need to fix some of the area in in 3D Scenes .

I will elaborate later

PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Scott,

Have a question for you..

When I first use the  Map Note points layer in 2D and I populated the fields for Long, Lat, and Altitude (Elevation)..

I didn't realized that in 2D it will show only Long and Lat  in the Map Notes Points' Geometry but not the Altitude  I had to add it to 3D Local Scene in Pro.

The field column I had for altitude had zeros and then didn't realized that when I right click on the Altitude field and it came up said "Calculate Geometry"   I ran it and then it doesn't populated but shown 0

Any reason why ?

I am using GCS WGS 84 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Robert,

If you are using Calculate Geometry (actually the Calculate Geometry Attributes geoprocessing tool), and you choose Point z-coordinate for the property, you should get the z-value that's stored on the point.

Prior to running the tool, you can check what this is using the Edit Vertices tool like I described in this thread above (https://community.esri.com/message/886772-re-update-field-attribute-question?commentID=886772&et=wat...)

If it's 0 there, you're going to get 0 for a result when you run Calculate Geometry.

-Scott

PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Thank you. That works !