Story Map Journal. Navigate Map Journal Sections from Main Stage features. Not Able to get this working.

09-27-2019 04:17 PM
CVRDGIS
New Contributor II

Hello,

I will start by saying that I'm fairly new to ESRI Story Maps. My organization has an enterprise license running Portal for ArcGIS as well as an ArcGIS Online account for simple app development. We don't utilize Web AppBuilder for Developer's addition, because we utilize Geocortex for our more heavy app dev. 

That being said, there are those in the organization that love the interface of Story Map Journals, however part of the functionality that does not come out of the box, is the ability to navigation Map Journal Narrative sections from Main Stage features. 

I built a really simple Story Map Journal in both ArcGIS Online and Portal for ArcGIS to test, and followed the steps outlined by Cooper Thomas in his blog post. Since I'm not using WAB for Developers, I had to download the source code from GitHub and I think i followed the instructions correctly, that is - until I got to the last part and became instantly lost:

So, after some more research, I found another post on How to Publish a custom WAB application to Portal. Which initially gave me hope because @JakeSkinner provided this awesome screenshot that made things seem clear. 

So I copied the custom code to my server, and followed the same steps as above and successfully added the application to my Portal (brief moment of success).

When I open try to view the application, I get the following server error.

Any idea what I should do from here?

Many thanks,

Chris

0 Kudos
3 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Chris -- Have you set up oAuth for your version of the hosted app? That might be it. You can review this article to find out how to do that and it might also give you any insight into what else might be going on.

https://medium.com/story-maps-developers-corner/an-introduction-to-hosting-your-own-story-map-e24501... 

If that's not it, it can be tough to troubleshoot web server issues like this given there are so many possible configurations. I'd suggest you open a ticket with Esri Support and they'll be able to help.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
CVRDGIS
New Contributor II

Thanks Owen, I'll give this a read through and see if it solves my issue. What I did find was that I was able to get the functionality working if I created and stored the initial web application/web map and hosted feature service on AGOL. So this is very clearly an issue with how im deploying/hosting the app on our server.

0 Kudos
CVRDGIS
New Contributor II

Hi Again Owen,

I don't think this is the problem. 

After reviewing the steps - I think the problem arises when I try to use a web map/story map created in my enterprise/portal. 

I tested by following the steps in portal and then downloading the compiled mapJournal code and adding the appropriate information as per the instructions. 

Then, as per your instructions (which i found online) 

So I think I found the proper spot in the apps/config.js

So I updated this with my Portal URL, and I get this:

It seems to hang here. 

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos