Polling places versus Voting centers?

Jump to solution
09-24-2019 12:26 PM
JayJohnsonWashoeCounty
Occasional Contributor III

In the Elections Solution, what is the difference between Polling Places and Voting Centers?

Is there a tutorial or deeper instruction available for the Elections Solution?  

Some of the attribute mapping from my local data to the the ESRI schema isn't clear, for example.

Thanks,

Jay

Jay
Washoe County GIS
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PennyHornsby2
New Contributor II

Hi Jay. I had this question as well.Voting centers are an alternative to traditional, neighborhood based precincts. When a jurisdiction opts to use vote centers, voters can cast their ballots on Election date at ANY vote center in the jurisdiction regardless of address. 

• Sixteen states allow jurisdictions to use vote centers on Election Day: Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Indiana, Iowa (for some elections), Kansas, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah and Wyoming.
  • Additional states may permit the use of vote centers during the early voting period

The polling place ID field in the Voting Precincts field would not be utilized for jurisdictions that have opted into vote centers. 

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
PennyHornsby2
New Contributor II

Hi Jay. I had this question as well.Voting centers are an alternative to traditional, neighborhood based precincts. When a jurisdiction opts to use vote centers, voters can cast their ballots on Election date at ANY vote center in the jurisdiction regardless of address. 

• Sixteen states allow jurisdictions to use vote centers on Election Day: Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Indiana, Iowa (for some elections), Kansas, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah and Wyoming.
  • Additional states may permit the use of vote centers during the early voting period

The polling place ID field in the Voting Precincts field would not be utilized for jurisdictions that have opted into vote centers. 

Hope this helps!

JayJohnsonWashoeCounty
Occasional Contributor III

Our county has indeed moved to a "vote anywhere" system, so this info is useful.  Thanks!

Jay
Washoe County GIS
0 Kudos