Model Builder

09-23-2019 01:29 AM
Labels (1)
GiovanniLombardo
New Contributor
Goodmorning everyone. I'm new to this site and I'm not sure if I'm using the right section to write my questions. I would like to know if 1) Inserting a topology in a model builder, is necessary to insert every rule at a time with the command "Add Rule to topology"? 2) By using the "Add Rule" command is it possible to modify the parameters? 3) The errors that are highlighted by the topology (inside the model builder) I need to work with the "Create Feature" 
by inserting the new features in the file subjected to the topology. How can I do it? 4) When I'll have the old and new features in the same SHP, how can I select records to use the "Eliminate" command (inside the model builder)?
Thank you all for the valuable answers

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Goodmorning everyone. I'm new to this site and I'm not sure if I'm using the right section to write my questions. I would like to know if 1) Inserting a topology in a model builder, is necessary to insert every rule at a time with the command "Add Rule to topology"? 2) By using the "Add Rule" command is it possible to modify the parameters? 3) The errors that are highlighted by the topology (inside the model builder) I need to work with the "Create Feature"
by inserting the new features in the file subjected to the topology. How can I do it? 4) When I'll have the old and new features in the same SHP, how can I select records to use the "Eliminate" command (inside the model builder)?
Thank you all for the valuable answers

1) Yes, one rule at a time is how the Add Rule To Topology tool works

2) Yes, you can modify parameters, that's what parameters are, you can set them to what you want before running the tool. The parameters are a set list however, you can't invent your own rules. (Without advanced .NET development anyway.)

3) The topology tools are set up to be used interactively in an edit session, for this reason you can't apply "fixes" in a batch tool in ModelBuilder. I don't think you'd want to, as often you want to see what you are doing before you apply a change.

4) Eliminate works within a feature layer. Features layer can hold a selected set (determined with Select By Attribute, interactive selection etc. If you pass a feature layer as an input to the Eliminate tool, it will remove features you have selected and leave unselected features untouched.

I hope this helps a bit. I would read the help more to get some background on geodatabase topology workflows. If you have access to the Esri Academy I highly recommend watching some videos and maybe taking some web courses there.

GiovanniLombardo
New Contributor
Thank you very much for the help. About topology parameters it is possible to exclude from the errors of the rule "Must not have gaps" the perimeter of the area on which we apply the topology? Naturally I intend to do it automatically inside a 
Model builder! Thanks again
0 Kudos