Mapping points and connecting them with a line - mapping westward migration.

09-18-2019 06:45 PM
JasonWickersty
New Contributor

Hello all!

I'm very new to ArcGIS, and have been buried deep in the latest edition of Getting to Know ArcGIS Desktop, but through all the lessons and tutorials, I can't seem to find instructions on what I would have presumed to be a very simple task.

I would like to put together a database very similar to the Patriot's Path, compiled by the Tennessee State Library, which takes data from Revolutionary War pensions to map the migration of Rev War veterans from where they lived during the 1770s to where they ended up living in the 1830s.  You can check it out here - https://tnmap.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=32a9be43e2b44e00a67edfc5ac2b7227 

I have similar data which I would like to map - place points of various individuals on a map, and connect them via a line, and then use an Operations Dashboard list to cycle through them. 

I've found plenty of instruction on Operations Dashboards - why is it that placing some points and connecting them via a line is so mysterious?

Any help would be very, very much appreciated.

Thank you!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Jason, perhaps

Create point and multipoint features—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

Create polyline features—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

with a bit (large) of reading on the ins and outs of creating featureclasses and editing their geometry.

Followed by symbolizing geometry for mapping purposes