Create a project from another project If you've already created a project, you can use it as the basis for a new project. If you rarely create new projects, you can do this by a copy of the existing project with a new name.

09-17-2019 06:49 PM
PeterKlem1
New Contributor

If you do this the projects are linked. The new projects edits are reflected in the old project. What is the process to stop this from happening  making the new project a stand alone project.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
0 Kudos
PeterKlem1
New Contributor

Thanks Dan

This question looks as though it was truncated.

My concern is that when carrying out ”copy of the existing project with a new name” the two projects are linked and when you edit data in the parent project the updates appear in the copied and renamed project(child). Luckily I have been able to take advantage of this in a recent exercise . I am concerned if I start making deletions that this may carry across any projects made in using this method.

Will making the project into a template and using the template to make a new project ensure the parent /child projects are not linked i.e edits will not carry across projects?

Kind regards

Peter Klem

Stock Route Consultant| Longreach Regional Council

M 0428 953 309|

PO Box 144 | Ilfracombe | Qld 4727

www.longreach.qld.gov.au<http://www.longreach.qld.gov.au/>

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Peter, I was suggesting creating a template project which you would use as the model for projects going forward.

I would create a template project from scratch and I would only include data which I wouldn't be editing at any stage … ie base data

0 Kudos