Does the ArcPro Image analysis work on all bands of an image?

09-17-2019 10:50 AM
PeteVitt
Occasional Contributor III

Hi - I'm doing an image analysis in ArcPro for vegetation that looks to identify 3 categories only:  1) trees/shrubs, 2) turf and 3) dead or dying vegetation .  I have a three band image with IR and a 4 band image with IR.  Will the 4 band image with IR provide a better result than the three band image with IR?

Thanks

Pete

0 Kudos
5 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator
0 Kudos
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

Pete

The answer to "will the software consider more than three bands?" is yes.  Our classification tools work on multispectral data.  Note that we also have segmentation tools, and running segmentation *is* limited to 3 bands, so you'd use the 3 band files.  You'd need the Image Analyst extension to run segmentation, so you may not have that license...?

As to whether the 4 band data will give better results, it's impossible to say for sure.  For most subject matter and environmental conditions, the green and blue are highly correlated, so the 3 band image (presuming NIR, Red Green) may work well for you.

Presuming this is high resolution data (pixel size less than 5 meters), my feeling is you will have some success with pixel classification, but the segmentation tools will be much more successful at identifying trees/shrubs - if you don't have the Image Analyst extension, you could request a free trial here.  

Cody B.

PeteVitt

Thanks Cody - that is very helpful information

0 Kudos
PeteVitt

Hi Cody - We've been using the image analysis tools and the image analysis wizard within the spatial analyst extension and there are options for doing both pixel and object based methods -- there is also a segmentation tool.  Does the image analysis extension have additional segmentation tools that would be more helpful for differentiating vegetation classification types?  or are there other tools that would make this better?  We haven't been able to reliably differentiate turf from trees and shrubs

Thanks

Pete

0 Kudos
CodyBenkelman
Esri Regular Contributor

Pete

sorry, no, I apologize for confusing things.  The segmentation tools require EITHER the Image Analyst Extension OR the Spatial Analyst Extension.  

Segmentation—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

You have the license you need...
Cody B

0 Kudos