Differences between segmentation mean shift preview and results

09-12-2019 01:10 PM
WadeWall
Occasional Contributor

Hi all,

I am trying to use the segment mean shift function on an image using ArcGIS Pro 2.2, but the results are less than satisfying and I am wondering what I am doing wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

I have a Worldview-2 image, and I apply the segment mean shift function in spatial analyst. When I preview the results, it looks like this:

preveiw of segmentation resultsLooks great for what I am wanting to do. It clearly identifies the clouds. The parameters are the default, except for a minimum object size of 1000. When I hit run, this is what I get:

segmentation resultsThis obviously doesn't look correct. The "purple" class ingests all the clouds, and most of the map. Does anyone know what is going on here? What am I doing incorrect?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
WadeWall
Occasional Contributor

When ArcGIS Pro 2.2 shows a preview of the segmentation, that preview is scale dependent. So what one sees at a large scale will likely not be what you see at a smaller scale. I changed the parameters and obtained the results that I was looking for.

0 Kudos
MervynLotter
Occasional Contributor III

You have already figured this out but what I usually do is to right-click on the mosaic dataset under content pane and choose to Zoom to Source Resolution. This should ensure that what you see in your display should match the output of the geoprocessing tool.

0 Kudos