AnsweredAssumed Answered

In ArcGIS Pro, create a circle with specified radius in geodesic

Question asked by dwebb_BCGISID on Sep 11, 2019
Latest reply on Sep 13, 2019 by SHarris-esristaff

Projections and coordinate systems are not my strong suit, to put it lightly, so maybe I won’t be asking this right. Or maybe I don’t know what I’m talking about.

I’m using data using that ‘WGS 1984 Web Mercator Auxiliary Sphere’ projection.  In ArcGIS Pro, when I create a circle with a specific radius in a polygon feature class, it draws it in planar, which means the radius is shorter than it really should be.

I've verified this using other applications (like this one Geodesic Length vs. Planar Length)  and filling in fields for area, length etc of various feature classes using Attribute Rules.

Is there a way to set geodesic when entering the radius for a circle? Attached is a screen shot of an example.  The green circle was made with a radius of 1 mile (what seems to be planar) and the red line is 1 mile geodesic.  Is there a way to make the green circle 1 mile radius geodesic?

Also, whenever I re-open the project, the Measure tool defaults back to using planar measurements.  I want geodesic measurements to get an actual 1 mile or something.

Is there a setting or something in ArcGIS Pro to always use geodesic measurements?

I hope I explained that well enough. 

Thanks!

Attachments

Outcomes