ckepler

Can't connect to Ora 10g w/ 3-tier conn from AGS Svr 10 SP1

Discussion created by ckepler on Mar 10, 2011
Latest reply on May 15, 2012 by blaurancinesrifrance-fr-esridist
This thread was posted to the 'AGS General' forum, but thought I'd re-post here since not getting a solid answer...

We have AGS 10 SP1 running on Windows Server 2003, and Oracle 10g (10.2.0.4) on a remote server (also Server 2003).  We can connect from AGS using a direct connection (have the Oracle client s/w installed, etc.)  But when attempting to connect with a service-based 3-tier connection, we get a "Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion" error.

The Windows Event Viewer has the following two simultaneous entries:
1. Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the ArcSde Service(esri_sde_ora2) service to connect.

2. The ArcSde Service(esri_sde_ora2) service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

Oddly, my sde_esri_sde_ora2.log has not been logged to since Jan. 24th of this year, even though I just tried to start the service and the errors were logged to the Windows event log.

It's also worth noting that the errors are reported immediately after trying to start the service, so a 30 second timeout error seems strange.

The executable that the service is attempting to start is 'C:\ESRI\ArcGIS\ArcSDE\ora10gexe\\bin\giomgr.exe'. (Apparently the double backslash '\\' has no adverse affects and the system can correctly resolve the path to the exe). If I run that from the command line, it throws the 'OCI.dll not found' error.

I've verified that my ORACLE_HOME env var is set to the correct location and that ORACLE_HOME\bin is in my Path env var.  Also the LOCAL var is set correctly in dbinit.sde, etc.

I've followed the instructions for Installing Oracle and ArcSDE on separate servers and Creating an ArcSDE service from a remote Windows server, but when I try to start the remote service using the instructions at Starting a remote ArcSDE service on Windows, I immediately get the error:

Error: Access denied when starting esri_sde_ora2 instance on ora2.
Operation Failed, Unable to start iomgr.

My questions are:
1. What is the <DB_Admin_password> noted in the sdemon commands? Is that the password for the sde user on the Oracle server? Or the 'sys' Oracle user? Or something else?

2. When running the command to create a service on the remote Oracle server according to the instructions at Creating an ArcSDE service from a remote Windows server, it creates a service locally on the SDE server. Is it also creating a service on the remote Oracle server??

3. What should I have our Oracle admin look for on the Oracle server to ensure that the service was created successfully on that server?  Are there any tests I can try outside of a service connection to verify that the installation steps were successful?

4. When creating the remote service on the Oracke server, there is no parameter to define which port to use. If I already have a SDE service running on port 5151 on the local machine, I'd like to use a different port. How is it possible to define the port on the remote machine? The 'sdeservice -o create' command does not seem to have a parameter for port. The instructions at Starting a remote ArcSDE service on Windows indicate that the port number must be entered into the Windows services file on BOTH the local and remote servers.  How do I keep these in sync between the local and remote servers?

Outcomes