Why can't I use the field calculator in ArcGIS Pro to calculate Annotation ClassID's like I could in ArcMap?

Jump to solution
09-09-2019 05:26 PM
BradyMckenzie1
New Contributor II

I was always able to select rows of annotation objects in the attribute table or via the map in ArcMap and then use the field calculator to calculate them to be a different class based on their AnnotationClassID e.g.  AnnotationClassID = 2 for 'Labels', 3 for 'Signage' etc.

I cannot seem to do this in ArcGIS Pro even though the online help suggests that you can. It just puts the ClassID value as a number, not recognising it as the coded domain value and then it's only visible when the default class is turned on. It seems that bulk calculations just don't work.

Using ArcGIS Pro 2.3

Any help would be appreciated.

Update: I know that I can achieve the same result by selecting the objects in the table and then select the class from the drop-down in the Attribute Manager.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BradyMckenzie1
New Contributor II

Seems I can get it to work properly if the Annotation FC is in a file geodatabase and not the esri geodatabase.

I think this is a version issue between enterprise 10.61 and 2.3.0 pro. I expect it will work as it should when we are on 10.71

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Question for you:  Is the annotation feature class originally created in ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro?  If originally created in ArcMap, then it's considered "read-only" in AGP and one needs to run the Upgrade Dataset GP tool to set it to "read/write" in AGP.  But be warned, once upgraded to AGP annotation, it's no longer useable in ArcMap.

BradyMckenzie1
New Contributor II

Hi, Thanks for your question. I am aware of those limitations. It was originally created in ArcMap but I have already upgraded it. I have no trouble field-calc-wise with other fields. I can change my annotation symbols in the classes etc. It just does not recognise a field-calc into a new class.

0 Kudos
BradyMckenzie1
New Contributor II

Seems I can get it to work properly if the Annotation FC is in a file geodatabase and not the esri geodatabase.

I think this is a version issue between enterprise 10.61 and 2.3.0 pro. I expect it will work as it should when we are on 10.71