Editing a non-versioned Egdb in Pro 2.4

09-05-2019 08:41 AM
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

As the subject line indicates, I have a non-versioned feature class in an enterprise gdb that I would like edit.  However upon doing so, I get barked at with:

My Options/Editing settings look like this:

What's the trick I'm missing here?

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Joe - is the data you're attempting to edit a part of a Geometric Network by chance?  If so, then is it possible to move your data to the new Utility Network model to then edit it?  As you may know, GN's are not supported in AGP and as such, are read-only.  Let me know if this does/does not resolve your editing issue.  Thx!

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Thanks Robert- the data ia actually a simple polygon feature class; I was able to edit in ArcMap, but Im trying to wean myself off what I refer to now as 'traditional ArcGIS desktop'...

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Joe,

Could it be similar to this defect reported by Esri Technical Support?

[BUG-000124614 Attempting to delete a record from an unversioned feature class while versioned features are in the map returns the error message, "Delete Selected Features failed. This data is currently locked by another user and cannot be saved."]

They have the following workarounds listed:

• Register the problematic feature class as versioned.
  • Remove all versioned features from the map in order to edit unversioned features.

Feel free to contact them for tracking the defect, or so they can investigate if there is something else going on here. Esri Support Contact Support 

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Hey Scott-  I suppose it could be, although none of the features on the map are versioned. I had thought to register it as versioned, but declined to do so since I'm not really the dba.  If I have to register it as versioned to get it to edit, it's bug plain and simple....

edited to add-  I've started a case with tech support as that's standard practice if/when a bug is suspected...

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Not a bug and not related to an existing bug: just an old ArcGIS Desktop guy getting used to ArcGIS Pro.  

Sometimes its best to get away so you can get a better look at what you've been doing.  After I originally posted this I thought to myself: 'Did you select the features while the Edit tab was active?'

The short answer I discovered today is No, I tried to edit with the normal select tool.  Once I made that adjustment, I was able to do what I wanted to do, which was to delete some extraneous polygon features.

The same big-boy rules apply in ArcGIS Pro that do in 'traditional' ArcGIS Desktop: edits to a non-versioned EGDB are absolute. If you make a modification and realize it was in error, you'll need to go back and fix it.  If you delete a feature or features, and realize that is an error, you better have a DBA buddy that can restore the database....

0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the status update. What's odd about what you said... The Select tool on the Map ribbon and the Select tool on the Edit ribbon should behave the same way.

I tested deleting a feature that was selected using the Select tool on the Map ribbon, but couldn't reproduce the original issue you reported - so there must me more to it, right?

-Scott

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

So are you saying that you have to select features to be deleted from an Edit tab button as the main select features button does not work in editing mode in Pro?  So you can have features selected with the main select features as well as features selected with the Edit tab Select button?

Do you get the same behavior to occur if you are working with a file gdb?  If you select items with the main select tool and then try to delete the items while on the Edit tab does it throw an error message?

Scott:

What was the source of the data that you were testing (e.g. shapefile, file gdb, SDE)?  If SDE was it SQL Server, Oracle, other?

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

When I selected them with the Edit tab select tool, I was able to edit them.  However, if it were me, I wouldn't have any other features selected when editing than the ones I want to edit.

0 Kudos
KristerVikström
New Contributor III

You can't edit non versioned enteprise data in ArcGIS Pro... sad in my oppinion. It should work like in the old ArcGIS Desktop.. 

0 Kudos