How to obtain ArcGIS Pro license usage statistics from ArcGIS Online

Jump to solution
09-04-2019 12:08 PM
AndrewRudin1
Occasional Contributor II

Is there a way through the ArcGIS API (or other tools) to grab detailed Named User ArcGIS Pro license usage statistics from ArcGIS Online?  The question I'm trying to answer is, "Out of all the users I've assigned a Pro license to, who's using them and who isn't?"  For example, John Smith's ArcGIS Pro was pulling a license from ArcGIS Online for 4 hours on August 26th, and then have that kind of daily detail going back 30, 60, 90 days.

I've seen that there is a generic chart of this information in ArcGIS Online if you go to Organization->Status->Apps, and then scroll to the bottom of the page to the "Usage of ArcGIS Pro by Org Members" chart. I'd like to extract this data and use it as a reference in my GIS user reports I'm compiling in Excel.

I've inspected the API reference and didn't see a way to grab the numbers.  The closest I found is the "Previsioned Listings property of users" which will show you what apps a user has been given a license for.  And even then you have to run this for every user in your Org and find out if they have a Pro license assigned.

I believe OpenLM has a new tool to do this in their July 2019 release, but I was curious if there is an out of the box way.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Andrew Rudin‌ - 

Thanks for posting here. There is currently not an OOTB way through the API to obtain the number of hours an ArcGIS Pro license has been used.  

The closest option would be Portal History, found here: Portal History—ArcGIS REST API: Users, groups, and content | ArcGIS for Developers. This should enable querying the number of times a user has logged into ArcGIS Pro, as well as return the date of the logins. 

Hope this helps,

Peter

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Andrew Rudin‌ - 

Thanks for posting here. There is currently not an OOTB way through the API to obtain the number of hours an ArcGIS Pro license has been used.  

The closest option would be Portal History, found here: Portal History—ArcGIS REST API: Users, groups, and content | ArcGIS for Developers. This should enable querying the number of times a user has logged into ArcGIS Pro, as well as return the date of the logins. 

Hope this helps,

Peter

0 Kudos
AndrewRudin1
Occasional Contributor II

Thank you Peter,

I'll see if I can use that endpoint to extract the logins on a regular basis and aggregate login counts by user in Excel or BI tools to get a general feel for how much staff are using Pro.