ArcGIS Pro 2.4.1 - Why ArcGIS Pro freeze display when pan & zoom out of projection extent?

09-02-2019 02:29 AM
VincentLaunstorfer
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

I am having problems when trying projections for mapping in ArcGIS Pro. For a given project, it is always recommended to use the most suitable projection in order to reduce shape/area distortion... It is sensible.

However, in ArcGIS Pro, any time I try a projection on the geographic extent of my project and/or accidently pan & zoom, the display (and the application) freezes just as if ArcGIS Pro could not "calculate" and project the data. To minimize computing, I also take care to use an unique datum. Thus projection seems to be the issue!

For example, a data frame set to the built-in Europe Lambert Conformal Conic projection (in WGS84 and not the ED50), opening a WGS84 (non-prejected) country polygon dataset, it freezes the application... In ArcGIS Desktop 10.5.1, it takes 20 sec to display.

Why is this happening in ArcGIS Pro?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

Hello Vincent, 

I'm currently using a development version of 2.5, but I cannot reproduce this. Here are my steps:

1. I left the default basemap in a new map.

2. Modified the existing Europe Lambert CC to use WGS 1984 and set the map to use it. I also zoomed in to Europe.

3. Added a shapefile with European provinces/states that's in WGS 1984. 

4. panned and zoomed. 

Just to make sure they're fine, would you please check the hardware requirements?

Thanks,

Melita

0 Kudos
VincentLaunstorfer
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Melita,

Thanks for looking at my issue, as this is not an easy issue to solve and it totally freezes my work.

The global country polygons I use is in WGS84 non-projected and cannot project to projections as explained earlier even using the same WGS84 datum. In ArcGIS 10.5.1, it takes about 20-30sec to project but in Pro 2.4.1 it never projects and keep trying to refresh the display (icon bottom right always busy). The only way to unfreeze the projects is to End task in the Task Manager!

I tried to clip my WGS84 country polygons and it worked fine. It looks like Pro is not able to project large datasets just as if projection engine could not cope. My machine meets the recommended specs and only my graphic could be better with dedicated Gb. Would it have an effect on Pro to project data? If yes, why ArcGIS Desktop 10.5.1 can project fine?

All polygons feature classes are in FGDB in WGS84 geographic:

*Global country polygon:

273 features

183774 parts

28'249'171 vertices

*Clipped country polygon:

5 features

750 parts

104'520 vertices

Thanks for helping, it is really appreciated

0 Kudos