Calculate distance between points based on matching ID?

Jump to solution
08-29-2019 07:07 AM
BobChristensen
Occasional Contributor

Hi, 

I have two point shapefiles, one that is the original data, and one that is corrected data. The shapefiles share several fields, including common feature IDs, but the points in the corrected version have been moved to their correct positions using arcgis collector in the field. Now I wold like to compare the original and corrected versions of these shapefiles so that I can include a new field in the corrected version that displays the distance between the original point and the corrected point. Is there a simple way to do this in ArcGIS pro?

I have investigated the NEAR tool but this does not appear to be quite right. I only want to calculate the distance between locations of points that share a common ID, not all points within a search radius. Or am I missing something there?

Thanks,

bob

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

What if you append both shapefiles together, then use Points To Line—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop using the point IDs (my understanding is that you would have 2 points with the same ID)?  The distance of the resulting lines would be the difference between the point's original location and its resulting location.  You could join that distance difference back to either dataset...

View solution in original post

2 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

What if you append both shapefiles together, then use Points To Line—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop using the point IDs (my understanding is that you would have 2 points with the same ID)?  The distance of the resulting lines would be the difference between the point's original location and its resulting location.  You could join that distance difference back to either dataset...

BobChristensen
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Kory, I think that worked for me. Still working on a method to remove the second version of the features to clean the data up after getting the distances, but I can probably figure that out...

b