Is there a way to take a vector tiled map, and cache it as raster tiles?

Jump to solution
08-26-2019 12:49 PM
MichaelBartlett
New Contributor III

I would like to use the vector style editor to change the look of an online basemap and then share part of it as a raster tile layer in my portal(server).  One of my applications is using  arcgis server 10.5 map services and can't read vector tile caches.  And requires a cached mapService retuning png8 files.

I have tried to do in Pro, but it says the Layer's data source is not supported.

Is there a workflow I can use.  Perhaps extracting it somehow?

I have both ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MichaelBartlett
New Contributor III

Well, I never got any responses.  But I did find a way to do it.

In ArcGIS Pro, if I added a Vector tile basemap from ArcGIS Online, and tried to use the Share menu, Web Layer / Publish as a Web Layer,  And the tile option. .  It told me the layer's data source was not supported.

But, if I used the Geoprocessing tool.  "Create Map Tile Package" it would work.  Then all I had to do was go to Portal and Add Item from Computer.

One other small item.  If I used tried to set the extent in the geoprocessing tool, it still tried to export the entire world.  BUT, if I set the Extent in the Map Option, I got it to just tile the area I was interested in.

Hope that helps someone else.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MichaelBartlett
New Contributor III

Well, I never got any responses.  But I did find a way to do it.

In ArcGIS Pro, if I added a Vector tile basemap from ArcGIS Online, and tried to use the Share menu, Web Layer / Publish as a Web Layer,  And the tile option. .  It told me the layer's data source was not supported.

But, if I used the Geoprocessing tool.  "Create Map Tile Package" it would work.  Then all I had to do was go to Portal and Add Item from Computer.

One other small item.  If I used tried to set the extent in the geoprocessing tool, it still tried to export the entire world.  BUT, if I set the Extent in the Map Option, I got it to just tile the area I was interested in.

Hope that helps someone else.

Tim627
by
New Contributor

Helped me thanks

0 Kudos