Network Analyst - error 030212, relating points to the network fails

08-22-2019 05:51 AM
robertkalasek
New Contributor III
background: I am seriously trying to switch over to "ArcGIS Pro" ... and I've been reading Solving routes to offset points in ArcGIS Network Analyst? My problem seems to be quite similar but it is related to ArcGIS Pro, where things generally seem to be a bit different.

I have done some tests on different kinds of network analyses (route, OD, service area). Each of them worked fine in ArcMap based on my datasets. In ArcGIS Pro just OD- and service area-analysis returned valid results based on the identical set of input data. When it came to ArcGIS Pro's "route solver" tool  (i.e. simple from point - to point routing) I've  got an error message 030212, which indicates that the start and/or end points couldn't be related to the network. The points are located in a distance from about 150m to valid network-elements!

Running "calculate locations" and increasing the "search tolerance" parameter in ArcGIS Pro didn't help at all (yes; I did run the add locations-commad with "use network location fields" parameter selected !), the snap parameter mentioned in the before mentioned article from 2013 seems to act quite different than it used to in 2013. I did tests search tolerance values up to 7500 ... but obviously the same set of input-data works fine in ArcMap's point to point routing - with the "route-layer properties / network locations / search tolerance" set to just 1000m - but doesn't work in ArcGIS Pro at all.

Additional information: The network is based on GTFS- and OSM-data and does transit network routing.

Question: Did anybody find a way to do point to point routing (called "route") in ArcGIS Pro with "search tolerance" set to values > 0 where start- and endpoints are located close to but not exactly at network elements ?

Additional question in that context: does anybody know how to restrict network entry points to specific types of network elements in ArcGIS Pro? In ArcMap it is parameterized via "route / layer properties / network locations / finding network locations / snap to" - settings ?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor

It does sound strange, especially when in Pro, OD and Service area are working correctly but not Route. Are you using the same network dataset for these tests?

Can you add two stops to a new route layer by using Edit/Create and click them further away from the network edges and do they route? If that does not work, perhaps the issue is with the network or spatial reference.

Jay Sandhu

0 Kudos
robertkalasek
New Contributor III

thx for reply. yes it is exactly the same original network data set. and there are no errors or strange comments when building the networ in each of the applications.

and i was doing my testst with a couple of points. some of them where added "on the fly" with the edit tools (so the should use the project's CRS), others where part of a shp-dataset. 

robert kalasek

0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

You said you used the "use network location fields" option.  I wonder if this is the problem.  Network location fields are values stored in fields in the data indicating where along the network each point should be considered located.  Points are almost always offset a little from the network, so usually we use the closest non-restricted network position and consider that as the start point for the analysis.  You can store these network locations in fields and re-use them in the future to speed up your analysis (because the network locations don't have to be re-calculated).  However, if you have edited your network or you're using a different network, these network locations get become outdated or incorrect.  I recommend running Add Locations again but this time using geometry to calculate fresh network locations.  Try running the analysis again and see if it works this time.

Also, your OD and CF might have succeeded, but you might have gotten warning messages indicating that some points were unlocated and ignored. The warnings don't pop up automatically when you hit the Run button in the ribbon, but you can see them if you hit the little square launcher button in the bottom right corner of the section of the ribbon where the Run button is.

If using geometry doesn't solve the problem, then you need to investigate the specific feature that failed to locate and make sure it's really in the right place.

0 Kudos
robertkalasek
New Contributor III

thx for reply and the detaile information about network location fields. i will give it a try !!

concerning the second point "warning messages": i have used a point set with just one point for service ares and two for OD matrix and for shortest path calculation (i.e. point to point routing) in both of the applications. so if there would have been a warning there shouldn't have been any results - i think. ... i will check for the warnings accourding to your infos !

robert kalasek

0 Kudos