AnsweredAssumed Answered

Were fabric type=3 "Quarter Sections" deprecated for type=12 "Second Divisions"?

Question asked by dbollinger on Aug 20, 2019
Latest reply on Sep 3, 2019 by lbeauchamp@blm.gov_BLM_EGIS

I'm trying to understand the fabric's model as to "where" to put things (re PLSS boundaries).

In short, I'm trying to figure out why there are 5 parcel types (1,2,3,4,12) for the cadastral reference portion, when I can only find four in use (township, first div, second div, special survey).

Though I do know in some jurisdictions there are third divisions recognized below the quarter-quarter, and I initially thought that was the distinction, and reason for the 5 types, though perhaps suggesting some "mix-up" in naming (ie, "Sections"=2 were to be first divs, "Quarter Sections" type=3 were to be second divs, and (if mis-named) "Second Divisions" would actually be the third divs).  But that doesn't seem to be the case, rather it just looks like type=3 isn't used.

Conceptually I do prefer the name "Second Divisions" of type=12 (because not every 2nd div is a quarter section) and present-day tools (such as publishing scripts) seem to use type=12 instead of type=3.  Just wondering about the "history" of type=3, and does it have any present-day purpose at all?

Outcomes