Can you merge two mosaic datasets together

Jump to solution
08-20-2019 05:55 AM
SLouq
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

I have a 4 in mosaic dataset and a 9 in mosaic dataset but would like to have this as 1 whole dataset instead of 2 separate datasets. Could you merge these two together with the Create Mosaic Dataset geoprocessing tool?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Scott,

Would this work? Derived mosaic datasets—Standard Workflow_Creating Mosaic Datasets | ArcGIS 

Derived mosaic datasets just reference already existing mosaic datasets and display them as one. Here's a bit more information about how mosaic datasets can be organized:

Imagery: Data management patterns and recommendations—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Hopefully, that gets you started!

Best,

Lauren

View solution in original post

4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Scott,

Would this work? Derived mosaic datasets—Standard Workflow_Creating Mosaic Datasets | ArcGIS 

Derived mosaic datasets just reference already existing mosaic datasets and display them as one. Here's a bit more information about how mosaic datasets can be organized:

Imagery: Data management patterns and recommendations—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Hopefully, that gets you started!

Best,

Lauren

SLouq
MVP Regular Contributor

Thank you for the links Lauren!

This is the first time I've tried working with imagery so I am learning how and what I can do with the mosaiced datasets I have created.

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Lauren:

How can you tell if you are using a derived mosaic dataset as opposed to loading the rasters of 2 mosaic datasets into 1 so-called composite mosaic dataset?

The documentation says the derived mosaic dataset is more scalable and provides better performance, but I believe at my org we just added 2 sets of imagery (4in and 9in like the OP) to create a composite mosaic dataset that is used as a source for an image service and the performance has been excellent for years.

SLouq
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Michael,

I created my 4in and 9in mosaic datasets from individual raster datasets but I never merged the raster datasets together to eliminate the multiple rows of each raster dataset. Is it good to have all these raster datasets 'Merged' together in the mosaic dataset?

0 Kudos