Is there a way to change the default map starting location from 0,0 in Survey123 with the geopoint in a repeat?

08-13-2019 05:05 PM
NDFAdmin
New Contributor III

I have a form with two geopoint questions, an initial gepoint question and another in a repeat. I haven't been able to figure out a way to change the initial map starting location from 0,0 for the geopoint question within the repeat. Is there a way to do this? I know that I can set the initial location by pulling coordinates from a CSV, but I would like the form users to set their own location. ~Thanks!

0 Kudos
10 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi NDF Admin,

We have resolved some issues in the upcoming 3.6 release in regards to geopoint questions inside repeats and setting calculations and defaults on geopoints, which may be related to the issue you appear to be describing. Please check out the latest 3.6 beta builds on EAC and see if this resolves your issue.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
NDFAdmin
New Contributor III

Thanks! I installed 3.6 and have been reading through the documentation. I'm having a hard time finding what changes have been made for setting geopoint defaults. Would you happen to to know what was changed and what the new implementation is changing the default location?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

The main change is that defaults and calculations are now honoured correctly when loading a geopoint in the main part of form or in a repeat, and changes to ensure the location sensor will not overwrite these values on load. The GPS, clear and recalculate button can now be used to set the location depending on if the user wants to overwrite the GPS or calculated value.

Can you explain in more detail or provide an example or your xlsx file of what you are trying to achieve?

Phil.

0 Kudos
NDFAdmin
New Contributor III

The issue I'm having is with setting a default geopoint location when loading locations using "Pulldata" from a CSV. When the online version of the survey is accessed the initial location is 0,0. I was hoping to change the default location to focus on Nevada. Thanks!

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Have you tried using the calculation column instead of the default column?

Also, can you share your xslx file so we can take a closer look?

Phil.

0 Kudos
NDFAdmin
New Contributor III

I haven't tried using the calculation field, but should experiment.

Here is the xlsx file: Form

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Can you please also share the CSV you are using for pulldata() to get the lat/long? I am just taking a look at your survey and it should work the way you want, but using a calculation that uses pulldata() to get lat and long and set that as the default location when the repeat opens on the geopoint is set.

Phil.

0 Kudos
DerrickWestoby
Occasional Contributor III

Are CSVs and pulldata() supported in the web form?  I thought that only worked on the mobile & desktop surveys? 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Derrick,

Yes, pulldata() at CSV works in the web form. You just need to ensure the CSV is configured correctly and doesn't use any special characters in the name fields, have extra blank columns, or extra blank lines in it. See this post here: https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2016/10/27/the-pulldata-function-access-external-da... 

Regards,

Phil.