Apostropes in a Record Name

08-13-2019 12:41 PM
Labels (1)
JonathanMcDowell1
Occasional Contributor

Has anyone encountered issues with an apostrophe in a record name causing ArcGIS Pro to crash?  When I create a record named Merrill's Subdivision ArcGIS Pro crashes. When I name the new record Merills Subdivisions ArcGIS Pro does not crash.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
rachelg_esri
Esri Contributor

Hello Jonathan!

I haven't heard any particular situation similar to what you describe, but the one thing I can think of is I know some softwares do use special characters instead of plain text quotation marks... If you copy the text, paste it into something like Notepad (which should strip out or convert special characters), then copy and paste it back into the row again, do you see the same behavior? If you re-add the quotation mark yourself by editing the table in Pro, do you crash again?

Thanks!

Rachel

Esri Support Services

Rachel Guttmacher
ArcGIS Online Technology Lead
Esri Support Services
JonathanMcDowell1
Occasional Contributor

If I enter the name into the Manage Records document as so..

ArcGIS Pro crashes.

If I enter it this way it will not crash.

I want to use the correct legal name for the subdivision. The subdivision is supposed to belong to Jonathan not imply several Jonathans. 

0 Kudos
rachelg_esri
Esri Contributor

Hello Johanthan,

Thank you for those screenshots! Can you verify where this data is stored? Is it inside a file geodatabase, an enterprise geodatabase...? If an enterprise geodatabase, what is the RDBMS name and version? (ex. SQL Server 2012, Oracle 12.1.0.2, etc.)

What version of ArcGIS Pro are you on now?

Thank you!

-- Rachel

Rachel Guttmacher
Esri Support Services
0 Kudos
JonathanMcDowell1
Occasional Contributor

I am using ArcGIS Pro 2.4.1. The parcel fabric is in a file geodatabase.

0 Kudos
rachelg_esri
Esri Contributor

Thank you for that information, Jonathan! I just tried adding an apostrophe to the Name field in a record on my end in Pro 2.4.1 and had no problems, so I don't think this is a widespread issue.

Do you have any other machines with Pro installed? Can you try the workflow there with the same data?

Does this happen with any other parcel fabrics, if you have any others?

Thank you!

Rachel Guttmacher
Esri Support Services
0 Kudos
JonathanMcDowell1
Occasional Contributor

The answer to all of your questions is yes. I used a different computer and used a different parcel fabric and ArcGIS Pro still crashed.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Like Rachel, I've never seen a crash, but the only special character I've ever allowed  in any data base I've managed is the under_score.  Nothing else....

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

What is the Manage Records document?  A table? A feature class?  Something else?

While it made me cringe, I added the word Jonathan's to a feature in a file geodatabase without a problem. Also added an apostrophe to a non-versioned EGDB table without a crash as well.

I  appreciate your need for a possessive legal name, as opposed to the implication of plurality, but as you have seen, special characters can be problematic. Just sayin'...

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
JonathanMcDowell1
Occasional Contributor

This issue has to do with the new Parcel Fabric in ArcGIS Pro. The pane is for creating and managing parcel records. My educated guess leads me to believe this is on the application side, not the database side.

0 Kudos