hone_j

Where to start, custom select, geoprocessing, or something else?

Discussion created by hone_j on Aug 12, 2019
Latest reply on Aug 19, 2019 by rscheitlin

Hi I'm new to web app builder and finding it rather difficult to work out exactly what I need to do to achieve the behaviour I have in mind.

I want my users to draw an area, then that area is used to query and return a list of data that has been cropped to that area with some extra attributes showing % of features total area thats left etc . Users can then select which of these pieces of data they want to have in their resulting data set that will be purchased and downloaded.

I initially thought I would need to use the select widget then use the selection area to crop the selected data. The select widget is quite complex and I could not work out how to get it to return the limits of the selection along with the selected features so I can use it to clip them. 

The next option I am thinking may be a way to do this is a geo-processing widget, it says it can take drawing on the map as input, then I can use that input to crop and return the list of data for selection. I'm still waiting on come access to server so I haven't had chance to create the service and experiment with this yet.

Does this sound like I am going in the right direction to do it? I have limited time and need to focus my learning efforts in the correct place to achieve this. Should I be looking to modify the select widget, (looks difficult and I couldn't find any examples of similar being done) or setting up a geo-processing widget, or am I barking up the wrong tree and I should be doing something else?

Any help or links to resources that solve a similar problem is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jim

Outcomes