Is it possible to take an Esri Vector Basemap style and convert it to a .stylex so that the label/detail styles can be utilized on our own data sets?

08-08-2019 06:24 AM
ChelsieWollett
New Contributor II

I am absolutely loving the styles built-in to the Human Geography basemaps that Esri put out and plan to use those when I use ArcGIS Online for general maps. However, when I am making maps in ArcGIS Pro, I typically want things to be more controlled. I only want to show our state, for example, or just certain cities/roads instead of the entire map the Human Geography data is running on. I know how to use the Vector Tile Style Editor to tweak a basemap's styles and can download a JSON, but is it possible to convert these for use as a style file? Beyond building each one individually by hand within ArcGIS Pro?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MarkHylas
New Contributor II

I have the exact same question for my Modern Antique basemap. Can this be bumped up?

0 Kudos
MarkHylas
New Contributor II

Following up on this again after having some success.  I was not able to convert the .JSON to a Style file, but I was able to make a copy of the basemap with the desired changes. After it was copied with the changes I downloaded the new updated basemap.

Overview of steps taken were Vector Style Editor > Copy basemap in ArcGIS Online(MAP) > Download new basemap in ArcGIS Online (Content)

I used this KB article below. Hope this helps.

https://developers.arcgis.com/documentation/vector-tile-style-editor/editing-json/

0 Kudos