MidnightYell2003

Ideas on advertising your GIS department

Discussion created by MidnightYell2003 Champion on Aug 8, 2019
Latest reply on Aug 20, 2019 by jborgion

This will be a little bit of a different "question" from the normal GeoNet questions, but I am hoping to gather some ideas.

I work for a small engineering firm that does Civil Engineering and Land Survey kind of work. We sometimes go to a conference and exhibit what we do. For awhile I have had the idea of trying to promote my GIS department (which is a department of one) by showing off the use of different apps and maps in the world of engineers and surveyors.

I wanted to ask you, the great people of GeoNet, what sort of things have you seen, or done, at a conference/trade show (not necessarily GIS related) that caught your attention? 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I had ideas of having some kind of interactive "game" where people could find, or guess, a specific location based on an arbitrary photo and maybe they get "points" based on how close they were to the actual location. This could be fun but it may not fully demonstrate that much GIS "power" (plus I don't have the best idea on how to calculate the points and tally it up later - need to put more thought into it). I think it would be great to use interactive apps and maps (like Survey123 for ArcGIS, Collector for ArcGIS, Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS, ArcGIS StoryMaps, Crowdsourcing, and newer things that I haven't touched yet like ArcGIS QuickCapture and Tracker for ArcGIS).

Outcomes