ParcelSubtype Field

08-07-2019 02:47 PM
Labels (1)
JonathanMcDowell1
Occasional Contributor

I just created a parcel fabric. The fabric I am using has subtypes. The parcels feature class as a field named ParcelSubtype. I tried adding the a subtype to the field as described in the help document. The Addtype geoprocess failed because it could not find a field designated as a subtype. I had to enter design mode and designate the field as a subtype field. Is there a reason why the ParcelSubtype field is not automatically set to a subtype field when a parcel feature is added to a parcel fabric?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JasonCamerano
Esri Contributor

Hey Jonathan,

Good point.  We could look it just having this already set up as the Subtype Field.  We wanted to give users freedom to choose their own fields if necessary.

-Jason

0 Kudos
AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

Jonathan McDowell

The reason we do not create subtypes by default is because most users do not need them.

Only use subtypes to model different parcel behavior (rules) within the same parcel type.

Do not use subtypes just because you can as they will require the administrator additional steps to configure the maps and feature templates and the users to sometime run into issues if the subtype has not been set properly.

You can still use the same field (or any other field) to symbolize by category and create feature templates.

the key for using subtypes is the requirement to model different rules (behavior) for each of the subtypes.

Christine Leslie‌ - FYI

0 Kudos