nesting attribute in a legend

08-07-2019 02:39 PM
KatieErickson1
New Contributor

Hello,

I am wondering if there is a way to nest an attribute within a legend in ArcPro...

I have symbolized a polygon layer by unique values using an attribute that contains values such as FW:la / FW:po / RI:ff / RI:fl... as you can see there are a number of similar categories.

I want my legend to display as such:

FW Freshwater

(symbol) FW:la Lake

(symbol) FW:po Pond

RI River

( ) RI:ff Fringes

etc

Or maybe it is something I need to do when working with the symbology?

Hopefully I have explained this clearly!

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Katie, 

I think grouping classes should give you the result you are looking for. This is done in the Symbology pane.

• To combine symbol classes, select the symbol class rows from the table while pressing the Ctrl key. Right-click and click Group values Group Values to combine selected classes into one group. Ungroup a grouped class by right-clicking it and clicking Ungroup values Ungroup.

Pro tip: After selecting the classes you want to group, right-click within a Value or Label cell of one of the selected classes to bring up the correct content menu (as seen above). If you try this in one of the symbol cells you will get the Color Picker. Also, to get to "New group" you need to bring up the "Move value" sub-menu.

The Legend (layout) should the test of these new groups as Headings. For more information please see Unique values—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop .

Hope this helps, 

Tom

KatieErickson1
New Contributor

Thank you!

0 Kudos